Skip Main Navigation Skip To Side Navigation Skip To Content


Please select a heading from the following menu for further information:

Do I need to register my pet?

Under the by-law, all dogs over 20 weeks old in any part of the city and all cats over 20 weeks old in the urban area will be required to be registered in the City's pet identification system (please see urban/rural areas map in By-Law 2004-144.

Each dog and cat will need to be registered by the date it reaches 20 weeks of age and by January 1 of each subsequent year. Upon registration, an identification tag will be issued for each dog and cat.

When a cat or dog is found, their pet identification tag number can be located in the City's pet identification system — so that your lost pet can be identified.

How do I register my pet?

1. Download the Pet Registration Form

2. Bring the form in or mail it to City Hall, Payment Centre, 216 Ontario St., Kingston, ON K7L 2Z3. Include a self-address stamped envelope when submitting by mail


Visit one of the following locations:

  • Barriefield Animal Hospital - 700 Innovation 
  • Collins Bay Animal Hospital - 4037 Bath Rd
  • Frontenac Animal Hospital - 745 Development Dr
  • Global Pet Foods - 1111 Princess St
  • Kingston Humane Society - 1 Binnington Crt
  • Limestone City Animal Hospital - 70 Cataraqui St
  • McEwen Animal Hospital - 1752 Bath Rd
  • Pet Valu - Kingston Centre
  • Pet Valu - 488 Gardiners Rd
  • Princess Animal Hospital - 1027 Bayridge Dr
  • Sims Animal Hospital - 8-498 Discovery Ave
  • Urban Paws Downtown - 27 Princess St
  • Urban Paws - 1183 Midland Ave

3. You may be asked to provide the following information:

  • Complete name and address of owner
  • Evening and daytime telephone number of owner
  • Pet's name
  • Breed
  • Proof that pet has been neutered or spayed
  • Pet's date of birth
  • Vaccination Record

What do I need to register my pet?

You will be asked to provide your current address and a description of your dog or cat. If your pet has been spayed or neutered, you will need to provide proof of the procedure the first time you register your pet in order to receive the discounted rate. If your pet has a tattoo or other identifying information, this can be kept on file as well.

It is a legal requirement under the Health Protection and Promotion Act to have dogs and cats over three months old vaccinated for rabies in all municipalities in Southern Ontario. Vaccinations not only protect your pets from acquiring rabies but also help protect you and your family if your pet is bitten by a rabid wild animal.

How much will it cost to register my pet?

Please see the Fees & Charges By-Law for the fee schedule.

This registration fee pays for identifying the pet when it is lost, enforcement and administration of the pet identification system. The fee also covers updates to the pet's information, such as records of rabies vaccinations, tattoos, microchip numbers, or other identifying information. If you and your pet move to a new home, there is no charge to update the address. To assist the Licensing Office in locating your pet's records quickly, please have the pet's identification number available.

If you have been found guilty of an offence under the Dog Owners Liability Act or the Animal Control Bylaw, additional fees will apply.

Where can I find help with my online pet tag renewal?

If you are attempting to renew your pet tag online and need help from a licensing agent, you can email or call 613-546-4291, ext. 3150.

Does my pet have to wear an identification tag at all times?

Cats and dogs are required to wear their identification tag at all times. By wearing a pet identification tag at all times, your pet has a greater chance of being identified.

Is there a limit to the number of pets allowed per dwelling?

No, there is no limit to the number of pets per dwelling.

Do I have to keep my cat indoors or on a leash?

No, you do not have to keep your cat indoors or on a leash. However, cats in the urban area will not be allowed to trespass on another person's property.

The City receives a number of complaints each year about cats doing damage to property and digging up and defecating in gardens and children's play areas. Under the bylaw, the property owner would have the right to take the trespassing cat to the pound.

Do I have to keep my dog on a leash?

Yes, dogs must be kept on a leash at all times, except when they are on your property or on the property of someone who has given permission for your dog to go unleashed.

How do I update my mailing address?

Update your address by contacting the City at:

How do I remove my deceased pet from your records?

Remove a pet from your records by contacting the City at:

Where do I send proof that I have now had my registered pet spayed/neutered?

Send your proof to the City at:

How do I contact Animal Control with a complaint?

City East/West
To report dogs running at large or any dog related infractions for the City of Kingston East and West, contact 613-546-4291 ext. 3117 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

City Central
To report dog and cat infractions for the City of Kingston Central, contact 613-546-4291 ext. 3135 (Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. At all other times, contact 613-546-4291 ext. 3117).

For residents who have encounters with any other type of animal, please refer to the information on our Wildlife webpage.

How can I learn more about the Animal Control Bylaw?

View the complete version of the Animal Control Bylaw.