The City provides municipal parking to help retain and enhance the viability of the city core, through support of local business, institutions, tourism and community-wide participation in social and cultural activities. To make parking part of the solution to the challenge of competing land uses, it must be both planned and controlled in conjunction with other modes of travel, including walking, cycling, public transit, and auto priorities.
The City maintains and administers a variety of parking options (including 4,000 parking spaces) and enforces parking regulations.
If you need help to find a spot to park, or you just wish to obtain information on the City's parking by-laws, please contact us.
On-street metered parking
The City administers about 1,400 on-street Pay & Display or metered parking spots. The maximum length of stay at meters varies from two to three hours and costs from $1 to $1.50 an hour.
Parking Lots and Garages
- More than 20 City lots offer Pay & Display parking for $1.00 per hour (unless affected by Event Parking rules). Many lots offer a monthly parking permit option.
- Garages – The automated payment system (AutoPay) allows drivers to pre-pay or pay-as-you-leave using cash, credit or debit card. Every half-hour (or less) is $0.50. Evenings (6 p.m. to 6 a.m.) and Sundays daytime (6 a.m. to 6 p.m.) are $3.00 max. Assistance buttons are available at the pay stations and the gates. New: Drivers can now simply "tap" their credit cards to quickly pay for parking at the City's Chown and Hanson parking garages. The new "Tap & Go" payment feature allows customers, who have the feature on their credit cards, to simply tap their cards when they enter and tap the same card again when they exit. No ticket is required – but anyone who does take a ticket at entry, can still pay using the "Tap & Go" feature at the garages' pay stations or at the exit.
Renew your current Parking Permit.
Monthly parking permits are available at 12 City garages and lots from $60.50 to $114.95 (taxes included) a month. All monthly permits are currently assigned. To request placement on the waiting list, contact 613-546-0000 (Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or send an email to contactus@CityofKingston.ca. Permits can be renewed online or may be renewed in person at City Hall (Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
On Street Parking Permit Program
In the Sydenham District/Hotel Dieu Hospital area (referred to as Area A) the City offers a variety of on-street parking permits for residents, commuters and temporary visitors (map of Area A) which exempt parkers from these restrictions. If your parking needs can be met within the posted regulations, no permit is needed. A limited number of permits are sold, subject to availability and the terms and conditions for each permit type (Commuter, Resident, Temporary). Click here to read more about the program.
Near the Rogers K-Rock Centre – See the regular Event Parking map
To encourage dispersed parking, the cost of parking increases in municipal parking lots as you get closer to the Rogers K-Rock Centre, 1 The Tragically Hip Way when events are scheduled. Signage with event parking rates, instructions and rules are displayed before and during scheduled events.
Event Parking Rates
- $5.00 flat rate - Zone 1 – Barrack Street Lot, Drury Lot, King & Queen Lot, Frontenac Lot.
- $4.00 flat rate - Zone 2 – Anglin and Angrove Lots.
- $3.00 flat rate - Zone 3 – Springer Lot, Upper and Lower Robert Bruce Lots Chown and Hanson Parking Garages are $1.00 per hour; Evenings and Sunday daytime $3.00 maximum
Early payment for an evening event can be made after 2:30 p.m. (earlier in some lots). Please refer to signage in each lot for details). Early payment for a Sunday matinee can be made anytime.
Find an Accessible Parking space downtown.
A registered accessible parking permit must be displayed in a vehicle using any designated accessible parking space. These spaces are signed with a regulation wheelchair symbol.
Parking in one of these designated spaces without this permit could result in a $300 fine.