Skip Main Navigation Skip To Side Navigation Skip To Content


Packing up for the summer?

With the completion of your academic year here are some helpful tips to make your summer move-out less stressful.

Unusable Items & Garbage

Unusable items and garbage can be disposed of at the Waste Management transfer station at 62 St. Remy Place (off Dalton Ave.), from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Friday, and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturdays. 

The waste transfer station will have extended hours, 8 a.m.  to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Apr. 26.Find out other ways to get rid of unwanted items.

Giveaway Days

Waste less: use Giveaway Days to put out items you no longer use for pick-up by your neighbours who might want them. At the end of the day, please bring any uncollected items back into your home. The City will NOT collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating unwanted items to a local charity.

Bagged Garbage

You are entitled to place one untagged bag of garbage at curbside on your usual collection day (maximum 44 lbs and 135 L in capacity). Additional bagged garbage will be collected if it is tagged. 

Garbage tags are $2 each and can be purchased at City Hall and the AMS office at Queen's University. (Freddie's Grocery on University and William also sells tags). People can also buy garbage bag tags online here. Shipping of tags takes 5-7 business days.

Find more information on other locations selling garbage tags outside the immediate Queen's University neighbourhood.

City By-Law states that garbage containers/bags, recycling containers, and Green Bins cannot be place at the curb prior to 5 p.m. the night before your collection day. Waste containers (empty or not) need to be removed from the curb before 8 p.m. on your collection day.

Don't know how to throw it out? Use the City's waste look up tool.

Remember to close your Utilities Kingston account!

If you are moving, contact Utilities Kingston as soon as possible to setup or finalize your account. A minimum of five business days' notice is necessary to ensure your utility services are setup or finalized on the date requested.

You can close your account using the convenient online form.

To avoid delays, it is necessary for the account holder or a representative to be at the service address if the meters are not accessible from the outside. The only person authorized to make any changes to the account is the person whose name appears on the bill. If your name appears on the bill, you are considered fully responsible for the account until your cancellation request is received and processed.

Utility services can also be setup or finalized by calling the Customer Service Centre, Monday to Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at 613-546-0000.

Property Standards & By-Law Enforcement

Yards and Streets Bylaws

The City of Kingston requires that all yards and Municipal Property be maintained and clear of garbage, debris, furniture, appliances etc. Enforcement staff will be out in full force with blitzes during move-out to move from warnings to go directly to charges.  To avoid clean-up costs (plus administration fees of $134.00) and possible fines please be sure and discuss this with your tenants to work out strategies to deal with their garbage and unwanted items.

Garbage and recycling

The City of Kingston does have a 1 garbage bag limit along with the ability to buy extra tags if they are required.  Failure to tag garbage bags may result in charges and garbage not picked up. NEW – Fines can now be imposed on property owners and landlords for illegal placement of garbage on City property by their tenants.

Contracted clean up

Times can often range from 24 to 48 hours once an order has been issued, however during the 2 weeks of the move out, the clean ups are often carried out immediately by the City Contractor in addition to legal action in court.

If you see an individual cutting open garbage bags or emptying garbage containers please call General By-law at 613-546-4291 ext. 3135.  Please leave as much information as possible for By-Law Enforcement including a description of the individual, and if possible their vehicle make and license plate.


If you have any questions or wish to report violations of the Yards By-law, please contact the City Property Standards Office at 613-546-4291, ext. 3246 or by e-mail at For questions or to report violations of the Streets By-law, please contact or by calling 613-546-4291 ext. 3135

Find out what the City has to offer:

  1. City Events calendar
  2. Grand Theatre
  3. Rogers K-Rock Centre