#WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is Saturday - #WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is Saturday
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null #WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is Saturday
August 12, 2019 -
This Saturday is Giveaway Day – that's the day you put out reusable items you no longer want to your neighbours who might like them.
"Giveaway Days can help divert 65 per cent of Kingston's household waste from landfill where it contributes to climate-changing greenhouse gas emissions and leachate," says Heather Roberts, director of solid waste. "Waste not, want not! Using items people give away keeps them out of landfill – it also saves you the money and reduces the packaging waste associated with buying new items."
Share pictures of your Giveaway Day items on Twitter at #WasteNotYGK.
Giveaway Day Guidelines
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
- Appropriate: books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
- Inappropriate: the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked-up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.'
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in to your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
- Respect other people's property: don't walk on people's lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items marked ‘FREE' and placed at the curb.
- Don't leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people's property.
Find these guidelines at www.CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway.