#WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is Saturday, Oct. 20 - #WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is Saturday, Oct. 20
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null #WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is Saturday, Oct. 20
October 15, 2018 –
This Saturday, Oct. 20, is Giveaway Day – that's the day you put out reusable items you no longer want to your neighbours who might like them.
"Giveaway Days keep useful items out of landfill and prevent consumers from buying new! New items always have packaging, so saving a useful item from landfill, plus preventing the management of packaging is a win-win. And of course the lucky finder has saved some money! If an item can be used or repurposed or made into something cool, then it is not garbage," says Heather Roberts, director of solid waste.
Share pictures of your Giveaway Day items on Twitter at #WasteNotYGK.
Giveaway Days are just one of the ways the City is working to help meet its goal to divert 65 per cent of household waste from landfill.
Giveaway Day Guidelines
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
- Appropriate: books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
- Inappropriate: the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked-up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out:
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.'
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in to your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up:
- Respect other people's property: don't walk on people's lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items marked ‘FREE' and placed at the curb.
- Don't leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people's property.
Find these guidelines at www.CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway.