News & Public Notices
#WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is this Saturday
April 16, 2018 -
This Saturday is Giveaway Day – that's the day you put out reusable items you no longer want for your neighbours who might like them.
"Giveaway Days keep useful items out of landfill and prevent consumers from buying new! New items always have packaging, so saving a useful item from landfill, plus preventing the management of packaging is a win-win. And of course the lucky finder has saved some money! If an item can be used or repurposed or made into something cool, then it is not garbage," says Heather Roberts, director of solid waste.
Share pictures of your Giveaway Day items on Twitter at #WasteNotYGK.
Giveaway Days are just one of the ways the City is working to help meet its goal to divert 60 per cent of household waste from landfill.
Giveaway Day Guidelines
- Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.• Appropriate: books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
- Inappropriate: the Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked-up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.'
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in to your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up
- Respect other people's property: don't walk on people's lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items marked ‘FREE' and placed at the curb.
- Don't leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people's property.
Find these guidelines at www.CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway.
About the City of Kingston
Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.