News & Public Notices
#WasteNotYGK: Giveaway Day is this Saturday
April 1, 2019 -
This Saturday is Giveaway Day – that's the day you put out reusable items you no longer want to your neighbours who might like them.
"Giveaway Days are one of the many tools we have to help keep items out of landfill. If an object can be reused or repurposed, then it truly is not garbage. Please make use of Giveaway Days to help Kingston reach its goal to divert 65 per cent of its household waste from landfill by 2025," says Heather Roberts, director of solid waste.
Share pictures of your Giveaway Day items on Twitter at #WasteNotYGK.
Giveaway Day Guidelines
Only set out appropriate items that you know someone else might want.
Books, CDs, DVDs, furniture and small appliances, electronics, construction materials (including drywall, lumber, hardware), kitchen gadgets, dishes, cutlery, pots and pans and, yes, unwanted gifts.
The Consumer Product Safety Bureau of Health Canada advises that these items should not be given away (or picked-up): baby walkers, cribs, car seats, strollers, playpens, bath seats, mattresses, blinds and toys.
How to put items out
- Place items at the curb in front of your home.
- Place stickers or signs on the items with the word ‘FREE.'
- Ensure any items that you do not want taken are kept away from items placed at the curb.
- At the end of the day, bring any uncollected items back in to your home. The City will not collect unwanted items left at the curb. Consider donating them to a local charity.
How to pick items up
- Respect other people's property: don't walk on people's lawns or gardens.
- Take only the items marked ‘FREE' and placed at the curb.
- Don't leave previously picked up items on the curb at other people's property.
Find these guidelines at www.CityofKingston.ca/Giveaway.