News & Public Notices
Annual work to reline water mains to begin in April
April 5, 2017 -
Is a water main in your neighbourhood going to be relined this year? To help maintain and improve municipal infrastructure, Utilities Kingston manages an annual water main relining program.
In 2017, Utilities Kingston is having 3,200 metres of water mains relined. Relining water mains with a resin-coated felt insert is a way to rehabilitate aging pipes without having to dig up the road along the full length of the water main.
Areas where water mains will be relined:
- Wiley Street from Weller to Drennan
- Wilson Street from Weller to Drennan
- Baker Street from Weller to Drennan
- Daly Street from Weller to Drennan
- Weller Avenue from Wiley to Montreal
- Drennan Street from Wiley to Montreal
- Cliff Crescent from Norman Rogers to Norman Rogers
- Purdy Place from Cliff to end
- Hillendale Avenue from Princess to Fairview
Watch for Notice of Upcoming Work
Residents in the areas listed above should watch for notices of upcoming work from Fer-Pal. This company has been contracted by Utilities Kingston to reline water mains and replace aging infrastructure, including water valves and fire hydrants.
The notices will be delivered at least 48 hours before work is set to begin and will include details on what to expect.
What to Expect if Work is Taking Place in your Area
- Your house may be connected to a temporary potable water supply system. You are not billed for the water you use while hooked up to the temporary supply, but the monthly service charge remains in effect. Some homes in the area will remain on their regular connection, and regular billing applies.
- Utilities Kingston may require connection to an exterior hose bib (or other connection).
- Utilities Kingston and contractor staff always carry identification. Homeowners should always ask to see it.
- If your water meter is reaching the end of its life, it will be replaced.
- Minor traffic interruptions should be anticipated around access pits and where work is being conducted.
For further information, contact customer service, Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at 613-546-0000. Watch for updates on this work at: www.UtilitiesKingston.com/Projects/Detail/WatermainReliningProgram
Media contact: For more information contact 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.