News & Public Notices
Be aware: Utilities Kingston does not conduct door-to-door sales
August 26, 2014 -
Utilities Kingston has received several calls from concerned customers who have been approached at their doors. These individuals falsely represent themselves as being affiliated with Utilities Kingston in an attempt to remove or change out water heater rentals, or access furnaces and air conditioners.
Utilities Kingston provides the following reminders:
- Utilities Kingston does not go door-to-door to rent water heaters and has not given permission for these companies to remove Utilities Kingston water heaters from customers' premises.
- Utilities Kingston is not affiliated with any door-to-door energy companies and is not partnering with anyone to replace water heater rentals, furnaces or air conditioners in the city.
If you are approached by a door-to-door sales person:
- Do not share your personal information (i.e., your gas or electricity bill) with any salesperson unless you are sure you want to sign a contract.
- Always make sure you get a business card and look at the salesperson's ID badge first.
- Ask to see his/her Vendor's City Business Licence – a requirement for door-to-door sales.
- Carefully read any contract, disclosure statement and price comparison provided by the salesperson.
- Learn more about your rights before you sign a contract at your door and find out how to file a complaint. Visit Consumer Protection Ontario at https://www.ontario.ca/consumers/consumer-protection-ontario
- You can check out a business through the Better Business Bureau at http://www.bbb.org/search/
Utilities Kingston is committed to providing efficient and reliable water heater rentals that meet safety standards and regulations. Utilities Kingston provides energy conservation programs and resources. If you are interested in saving water, energy and money, call 613-546-0000 and say ‘conservation'.
Concerned customers are encouraged to contact customer service at 613-546-0000. Information about Utilities Kingston's water heater products, pricing, agreements and more is available at rent.utilitieskingston.com
Media contact: For more information contact Sarah Withrow, Communications Officer for Utilities Kingston at 613-546-4291, extension 1380.