Be inspired to take climate action at the 2020 Climate Change Symposium - Be inspired to take climate action at the 2020 Climate Change Symposium
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Be inspired to take climate action at the 2020 Climate Change Symposium
January 7, 2020 -
This year, resolve to take climate action! Zero Waste Countdown host Laura Nash will emcee the afternoon Climate Change Symposium 2020 on Jan. 16 at the Grand Theatre. Her show about reducing waste and environmental impacts airs on 91X in the Bay of Quinte and on QCCR 99.3 in Nova Scotia.
“Sustainable Kingston and the City, co-hosts of this event, were seeking an emcee who could help inspire us to take more climate actions and Laura certainly fits the bill! She’s interviewed experts in a variety of fields and has an excellent overview of the challenges facing us as our climate changes,” says Julie Salter-Keane, Community Projects Manager.
The Symposium will also feature a keynote address by award-winning urban planner Jennifer Keesmaat.
Tickets for the third annual Kingston Climate Change Symposium can be purchased at The Grand Theatre box office at 218 Princess St. or online ($20 for adults and $15 for students plus HST and handling).
The Symposium will offer three mini-sessions to allow participants to develop climate actions they can take – separately and together – to reduce Kingston’s community greenhouse gases by 15 per cent from 2018 levels by 2022, and to achieve carbon neutrality by 2040.
See the afternoon’s agenda, below, for the full line-up of speakers and sessions:
- 12 p.m. - Doors Open | Change for Climate Information Fair
- 12:30 p.m. - Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Land Acknowledgement Kathy Brant, Grandmother-in-Residence for Grand OnStage
- Opening Remarks Mayor Paterson
- Poet Laureate, Jason Heroux
- MP Mark Gerretson and MPP Ian Arthur
- 12:45 p.m. - Robert Keen, Forests Ontario
- 1:30 p.m. - Inspiring Action Mini-session with Pamela Shea, St. Lawrence College and Paul MacLatchy, City of Kingston
- 1:45 p.m. - Wellness Break
- 2 p.m. - Mason Prout and Matt Brown, Patagonia
- 3 p.m. - Inspiring Action Mini-session with Dan MacKinnon, MacKinnon Brothers Brewing Co. and Devon Hawkins, nufuuds, and Russell Horne, City of Kingston
- 3:30 p.m. - Coffee Break and Networking
- 4 p.m. - Inspiring Action Mini-session with Aidan Tomkinson, KCVI
- 4:10 p.m. - Sustainable Kingston
- 4:25 p.m. - Paige Agnew, City of Kingston, Density by Design
- 4:40 p.m. - Keynote Speaker Jennifer Keesmaat
- 5:50 p.m. - Closing Remarks
- 6 p.m. - Networking | Change for Climate Information Fair
Demonstrating leadership on climate action is one of Council's strategic priorities.