News & Public Notices
Celebrate Lake Ontario Park at Grand Opening
June 10, 2013 -
The City is inviting all Kingstonians to a Grand Opening ceremony on Sunday, June 23 to celebrate the revitalizing upgrades to Lake Ontario Park.
The opening ceremonies take place near the pavilion and will kick-off at 1 p.m. with the music of The Mash Potato Mashers, a 9-piece New Orleans-style marching jazz band. Then, at 1:30, Mayor Mark Gerretsen will preside over a ribbon-cutting ceremony, followed at 2:15 by a concert for kids featuring Hey Kids!
"This is your park, Kingston, and it is a gorgeous place to plan a magical day at the waterfront. Come on down to enjoy the new splash pad, accessible walkways, the new play equipment – and all the upgrades," says Wally Ferris, Director of Recreation & Leisure Services who is encouraging residents to take advantage of the fun-filled opening to check out this spectacular gem of a park.
The day also features:
- Kingston Sport and Social Club Beach Volleyball (at the new Beach Volleyball court)and Ultimate Frisbee (on the Open Lawn) demonstrations both before and after the ceremony
- Walking tours of the Park's upgrades starting at 2 p.m. near the splash pad
The City has now completed the significant upgrades outlined in the detailed design for Lake Ontario Park, which was developed through an extensive public consultation. The renovations to the Park include:
- A refurbished pavilion structure with new universally accessible washrooms
- New splash pad
- New play equipment
- Accessible walkways to improved waterfront
- An enhanced and enlarged cobble beach
- New waterfront sand play areas (just down the hill from the washroom buildings)
- A refurbished performance area
- Refurbished ‘Round House' washroom buildings
For more information on this project, go to www.CityofKingston.ca/lop.
Plan to get there by bus: www.CityofKingston.ca/tripplanner
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Communications Officer 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call the City of Kingston's media hotline at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
View the Lake Ontario Park upgrades