News & Public Notices
Celebrating Accessibility Awards winners recognized at City Hall
December 1, 2017 -
The winners of the City of Kingston's 2017 Celebrating Accessibility Awards were recognized yesterday at a public ceremony at Memorial Hall in City Hall.
"Our winners, past and present, offer evidence that the Kingston community is thinking about and working toward being ever more inclusive and accessible to all. Any Kingstonian looking to improve access to people with disabilities can certainly look to these winners to find inspiration," says Julie Salter-Keane, community projects manager.
Representing organizations and individuals across seven categories, seven winners were selected by the members of the municipal accessibility advisory committee (MAAC). Here are the 2017 award recipients by category:
- Education – Jordan De Rooy, Teacher & Coach, LCVI
- Employment – Michael Moore, Costco Kingston
- Recreation – Vicki Keith, Kingston Y Penguins
- Customer Service – Deaf Mentor Grass Creek Park Summer Camp, City of Kingston Recreation and Leisure Services
- Built Environment – NORTHSIDE Espresso + Kitchen, Jessica Huddle and Cade Pentland-Boyce
- Volunteer – Volunteers of the Humanitarian Program, Independent Order of Odd Fellows
- Other – Wheelchair Rally, Friends of Kingston Inner Harbour
To find out more about this award go to: www.CityofKingston.ca/city-hall/kingston-awards/access-awards.
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality - - ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future.
Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.