News & Public Notices
City issues call for Countryside nominations
February 13, 2017 -
The City of Kingston is now seeking nominees to run for councillor of Countryside District (District 1). The seat was left vacant when former councillor Richard Allen resigned last year.
The municipal byelection for Countryside District, Kingston's most rural district, will be held on Monday, May 15.
Those interested in pursuing this seat on city council must:
1. Complete forms available in the office of the city clerk at City Hall, 216 Ontario St., including:
- A Nomination Paper
- A Declaration of Qualifications
2. File the nomination along with $100 filing fee (payable by cash, certified cheque, money order, debit or credit card).
The nomination must be signed by the candidate and officially filed:
- During business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays) until Thursday, March 30 or
- Between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Nomination Day – Friday, March 31.
Candidates Information Session
The City will host an information session for potential candidates and the public from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday, March 1 at the Glenburnie Fire Hall, 1485 Unity Rd.
The session will offer an overview of what is involved with being a councillor including details about the City's governance model, the municipal byelection process, time commitments and remuneration. Please note that the session is not a candidates' debate forum.
- See a map of Countryside District at www.CityofKingston.ca/city-hall/mayor-and-council/district1
- For more election information visit www.cityofkingston.ca/city-hall/elections
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality –ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future.
Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.