News & Public Notices
City now accepts BPI-certified compostable liner bags in Green Bins
April 7, 2014 -
Compostable liner bags certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute – and showing the BPI symbol – can now be used in your Green Bin.
"You don't have to use a liner bag in your Green Bin, but many people find the paper liners handy and, now, we are happy to welcome BPI-certified compostable liner bags as another easy option for transferring organic waste from your kitchen container to your Green Bin," says Derek Ochej, Public Education Coordinator.
Ochej urges residents to look for the BPI symbol before they buy compostable liner bags. Only certified-compostable liner bags marked with the BPI symbol work with the City's composting processes. Plastic-looking compostable or biodegradable bags without the BPI symbol do not break down efficiently and will not be accepted by the City.
All cellulose-lined paper bag liners and homemade newspaper or paper liners will continue to be accepted.
Waste Less. Feed your green bin more.
Feed your Green Bin to help your garbage lose weight. Green Bins divert organic waste from landfill and create useful compost.
- Food scraps of all kinds – fruit and vegetable peels, meat and bones, tea bags, coffee grounds, oatmeal, pasta, jams, mayonnaise, mashed potatoes, fats, egg shells, nut shells, shrimp shells.
- Soiled paper products – used paper towels, tissue, popcorn bags, paper plates and greasy pizza boxes.
- Small pieces of yard waste as will fit in the Green Bin with the lid closed.
These items cannot go in your Green Bin:
- Pet waste and kitty litter.
- Diapers and feminine hygiene products
- Rocks, gravel and soil
- Disposable duster/sweeper cloths
Not sure what to feed your Green Bin? www.CityofKingston.ca/greenbin
Lots of organic waste can also be composted in your backyard. The City sells backyard composters for $41.95 at the Kingston Area Recycling Centre, 196 Lappan's Lane, Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Don't have a Green Bin? Call 613-546-0000 to find out how to get a replacement.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.