City of Kingston focuses on safety as dog parks and some outdoor recreation amenities begin to reopen May 19 - City of Kingston focuses on safety as dog parks and some outdoor recreation amenities begin to reopen May 19
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null City of Kingston focuses on safety as dog parks and some outdoor recreation amenities begin to reopen May 19
May 18, 2020 -
Effective Tuesday, May 19, the City of Kingston will reopen the following outdoor public recreation amenities for casual, informal use. Use of these amenities is subject to the recommendations provided further below, and group bookings of these amenities cannot be made at this time:
- Off-leash dog parks
- Sports fields
- CaraCo Home Field track
- Sports courts. Courts will be unlocked, and nets will be installed this week.
- Skate parks will reopen once safety fencing is removed, a process that will begin this week.
The following recreation amenities remain closed as per the provincial government’s first stage of re-opening:
- Public washrooms
- Playground equipment
- Splash pads
- Water fountains
- Park benches
- Picnic tables
- Picnic shelters
- Outdoor BBQs
The following recreation amenities remain open:
- Trails, including the K&P Trail and Waterfront Trail
- Municipal boat launches (except for the launches located at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour)
Provincial emergency measures and City bylaws remain in effect
Under the Emergency Measures and Civil Protection Act and applicable City of Kingston bylaws, the following behaviours are prohibited:
- Gatherings of more than 5 individuals not from the same household
- Use of amenities closed under the EMCPA
- Dog owners and handlers are subject to Ontario Dog Owner's Liability Act and the City of Kingston Animal Control Bylaw.
COVID-19 safety recommendations for using public recreation amenities
Signage will be installed at the City’s recreation amenities in the coming days to remind residents of these safety recommendations:
- Users must practice physical distancing (stay at least 2 metres apart).
- Users can wear a mask or face covering if physical distancing is a challenge.
- Team play or doubles matches at sports fields and sports courts are not permitted unless participants are from the same household.
- Users should bring their own hand sanitizer and water to wash their hands before and after visiting the park.
- Keep Kingston clean by taking litter or pet waste home with you.
Keep up to date on the City’s COVID-19 safety precautions at www.CityofKingston.ca/COVID-19