City of Kingston temporarily halts inspections of non-essential construction projects - City of Kingston temporarily halts inspections of non-essential construction projects
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null City of Kingston temporarily halts inspections of non-essential construction projects
April 6, 2020 -
Effective April 4, 2020, the City of Kingston is temporarily halting inspections of non-essential construction projects as determined by the Government of Ontario. This decision is in accordance with the Provincial Regulation made under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act, which requires all non-essential construction projects to cease construction.
“This decision is consistent with Provincial direction on the matter,” says Lisa Capener-Hunt, Manager of Building Services and Chief Building Official for the City of Kingston. “We’re committed to helping residents understand how this may affect their projects, and we encourage them to contact the Building Services department for more information.”
This decision will be in effect until further notice and will be updated pending further direction from the Province of Ontario.
Essential construction projects include:
- Construction projects and services associated with the healthcare sector
- Construction projects and services required to ensure safe and reliable operation of critical provincial infrastructure
- Construction activities related to the production or maintenance of personal protective equipment, medical devices, and other products directly related to combatting the COVID-19 pandemic
- Residential construction projects where a footing permit or above-grade structural permit has been granted, or where the project involves renovations to residential properties and construction was started before April 4, 2020
- Construction and maintenance activities necessary to temporarily close construction sites that have paused or are not active and to ensure public safety
A complete list is available on the Government of Ontario’s list of essential workplaces.
Permit applications will continue to be reviewed for all types of construction. The issuance of permits does not allow construction in contravention of this prohibition. Residents are encouraged to review the list of essential construction or contact the Building Services department before proceeding with any construction.
Inspections will only be carried out on construction deemed essential by the provincial order above. Inspections for residential construction will continue where building permits have been issued by April 4, 2020 for construction of single-family, semi-detached, townhomes, condominiums, mixed-use and other buildings, and alterations to residential properties where construction work started before April 4.
Learn more about the City of Kingston’s COVID-19 precautions.