City offers a variety of March break activities - City offers a variety of March break activities
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null City offers a variety of March break activities
March 11, 2015 -
In search of activities to explore during March break? The City is offering these camps, daily swims, skates, shinny and creative opportunities for active fun.
Below is a schedule of activities to help families plan their week.
Get Creative at the Tett Centre
These activities are FREE at the renewed Tett Centre for Creativity & Learning, 370 King St. W. See www.tettcentre.org for more information.
- Creativity Studios Art Samplings – for ages 10 to 12 on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. and for adults and families on Sundays from 1 to 3 p.m. (This free program continues until the end of April.)
- Fireside Music Series (with Roger James) – on Sunday, March 15 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Drop-in Kinder Drama – for ages 5 and 6 on Saturday, March 14 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Drop-in Hip Hop/Breaking – for ages 6 to 9 on Saturday, March 14 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Drop-in Meme Jamming (interactive multi-media) workshop presented by Love My Life Tobacco Free/KFL&A Public Health – for all ages on Thursday, March 19 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Drop-in Kinder Art – for all ages on Saturday, March 21 from 10 to 11 a.m.
March Break Camp
This action-packed day camp for 6 to 12 year-olds at Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, 382 Bagot St., offers daily sessions March 16 to 20 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and combines crafts and sports. The cost is $31 a day per child. Extended supervision is available for $6.10 a day (7:30 to 9 a.m. and 4 to 5:30 p.m.).
Free: High five principles of healthy childhood development
This free High Five course is required by youth seeking employment with the City of Kingston's children's programs and summer camps. Youth 13 years and older will gain an understanding of children's ages and stages and learn how to provide an exciting, safe and healthy play experience. It runs Saturday, March 14 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, 53 Yonge St. Please, bring your own lunch.
Register for these programs at www.CityofKingston.ca/ecity or in person at Artillery Park Aquatic Centre or the INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.
See www.CityofKingston.ca/recreation for costs associated with drop-in activities below.
Free skating at the Rogers K-Rock Centre
The Rogers K-Rock Centre, 1 The Tragically Hip Way, hosts FREE public skating from 1 to 3 p.m. Monday, March 16 through Thursday, March 19.
- Saturday, March 14 – INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd., from 2 to 3:45 p.m.
- Sunday, March 15 – Memorial Centre, 303 York St., from 12 to 1:45 p.m.
- Monday, March 16 – INVISTA Centre from 6:30 to 7:20 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 17– Centre 70, 100 Days Rd., from 4 to 4:50 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 18 – Memorial Centre from 5 to 5:50 p.m.
- Thursday, March 19 – Centre 70 from 4 p.m. to 4:50 p.m.
- Friday, March 20 – Centre 70 from 7 to 8:45 p.m.
- Saturday, March 21 – INVISTA Centre from 2 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
- Sunday, March 22 – Memorial Centre from 12 to 1:45 p.m.
Supervised Youth Shinny Hockey
Full hockey equipment required.
- Monday, March 16 – Thursday, March 19: INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd. – ages 7 to 9 from 1 to 1:50 p.m., and ages 10 to12 from 2 to 2:50 p.m.
- Friday, March 20 – Memorial Centre, 303 York St. – ages 7 to 9 from 10 to 10:50 a.m. and ages 10 to 12 from 11 to 11:50 a.m.
Parent & Tot Skating/Shinny Hockey
INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.
- Sunday, March 15 – 11 to 11:50 a.m.
- Monday, March 16 – 10:30 to 11:50 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 17 – 10:30 to 11:50 a.m.
- Wednesday, March 18 – 10:30 to 11:50 a.m.
- Thursday, March 19 – 10:30 to11:50 a.m.
- Friday, March 20 – 10:30 to 11:50 a.m.
- Sunday, March 22 – 11 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
Drop-in to the INVISTA Fitness and Wellness Centre
March 16 to 20 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., the INVISTA Fitness and Wellness Centre is an active zone for 7 to 15 year olds who want to get moving and have fun – try the recumbent bikes, Wii stations and PS3. Youths 10 to 15 can check out the weight circuit after a brief orientation. Don't forget
Grade 9 students: use your ActivPass to get in the Fitness Centre free.
Note: Youth ages 7 to 9 require on-site supervision by a legal guardian.
Get in a swim at Artillery Park
Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, 382 Bagot St.
- Parent and tot swim 10:30 to 11:25 a.m. (leisure pool)
- Family swim 11:30 a.m. to 12:55 p.m. (both pools)
- Leisure swim 2 to 3:55 p.m. (both pools)
Monday, March 16, Tuesday, March 17, Wednesday, March 18:
- Parent and tot swim 9 a.m.to 9:55 a.m. (leisure pool)
- Family swim 11:30 a.m. to 1:25 p.m. (both pools) and 7:30 to 9:25 p.m. (leisure pool)
- Leisure swim 1:30 to 2:55 p.m. (both pools) and 3:30 to 4:55 p.m. (leisure pool)
Thursday, March 19:
- Parent and tot swim 9 to 9:55 a.m. (leisure pool)
- Family swims 11:30 a.m. to 1:25 p.m. (both pools)
- Leisure swims 1:30 to 2:55 p.m. (both pools) and 3:30 to 6:55 p.m. (leisure pool); 7 to 8:25 p.m. (both pools)
Friday, March 20:
- Parent and tot swim 9 to 9:55 a.m. (leisure pool)
- Family swims 11:30 a.m. to 1:25 (both pools)
- Leisure swims 1:30 to 2:55 p.m. (both pools), 3:30 to 4:55 p.m. (Leisure Pool) and 8 to 9:25 p.m. (both pools)
Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 120,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Our vision – to become Canada's most sustainable city – focusses our efforts on: environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality. Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, media relations officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.