News & Public Notices
City offers roster of Family Day activities
February 10, 2014 -
Municipal services run on holiday schedule
The City and various community partners are offering a variety of Family Day activities for Monday, Feb. 17. (The holiday schedule for municipal services follows the activity listing.)
INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.:
- Parent & Tot Skating/Shinny 10:30 – 11:50 a.m. (children 6 and under)
- Public Skating 1 – 2:45 p.m.
Tots to 12 yrs. $2.50; Senior 65+/Student 13-17 yrs. $3; Adult $4; Family $2.50/person. Grade 5 and 9s skate FREE with ActivPass.
Beechgrove Complex Recreational Centre, 51 Heakes Lane:
- Adult and Family Swim 11:30 a.m. – 1:25 p.m. Family $2.90/person
- Leisure Swim 2 – 4 p.m., Adult $5; Senior/Student $4; Child (under 13) $2.60. Grade 5 and 9s swim FREE with ActivPass.
- Parent & Tot Swim 4 – 5 p.m., Adult $2.94, children under 6 FREE
- Drop-in Swim to Survive Lessons 5 – 6 p.m., FREE
- Adult and Family Swim 6 – 7:30 p.m., Adult $5, Family $2.90/person
- Aqua Fit 7:35 – 8:30 p.m. Adult $9.30
- The Fitness and Wellness Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd., is inviting members to "Bring a Friend" for a FREE visit to the gym on Family Day (details available in the Fitness Centre). Family Zumba 2 to 3 p.m. Flash your Grade 9 ActivPass from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Try the Drop-in Youth Fit Zone for those ages 7-15 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (regular fees apply. Youth Fit Zone Orientation is required for new visitors).
- Beechgrove, 51 Heakes Lane, has Noon Hour Fitness 12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m. (regular rates apply. Members may bring their kids for FREE.)
Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, 53 Yonge St.
Families can discover their artistic side from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at ArtZoo's FREE arts activities, workshops, performances and crafts. Try aerial dance, soundscapes, sculpture, hip hop, storytelling, theatre, face painting and much more! For more details visit http://kingstongrand.ca/learning-event/artzoo
Municipal Holiday Schedule
The Family Day holiday will create some schedule changes to municipal services:
- Green Bin, garbage and recycling: No collection on Monday. Monday's collection moves to Tuesday, and for the rest of the week, collection occurs the day after the regular pick-up day. Never miss collection day again: go to www.CityofKingston.ca/collection to sign-up to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email. The City also offers a FREE "Kingston Waste" app for use on your Apple or Android device.
- Kingston Transit: Bus service will operate on a Sunday schedule on Monday. Regular service resumes Tuesday. Plan to get the by bus www.CityofKingston.ca/tripplanner
- Kingston Access Services: operates with limited service on Monday. Bookings for Family Day will be accepted Monday, Feb. 3 to Sunday, Feb. 16 during regular office hours. Call 613-542-2512 for information.
- Administrative Offices, including Community and Family Services and Housing on Montreal Street and Provincial Offences: Closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east should call 1-800-434-1235.)
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed.
- Arenas: Open.
- Wally Elmer Neighbourhood Centre: Closed.
- INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Open 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. (note reduced hours).
- Beechgrove Complex Recreation Centre: Open 11:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. (note reduced hours).
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour: Building: Open. Marina Office: Closed for the boating season (reopens in May).
- Libraries: All branches of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library will be closed on Sunday and Monday. The Central Branch at 130 Johnson St. will also be closed on Tuesday, Feb. 18 (for a one-day planned power outage to accommodate electrical work). Any items due at Central Branch on February 18 are now due on February 19.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at www.kingstongrand.ca.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.