News & Public Notices
City offers roster of Family Day activities
February 9, 2015 -
Holiday to affect City schedule
Here is the City of Kingston's activity, program and service schedule for Family Day, Monday, Feb. 16:
Family Day Activities
Have active Family Day fun at the Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, 382 Bagot St. and the INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.
Unless otherwise indicated, drop-in fees apply. Grade 5s and 9s swim or skate for FREE with ActivPass.
Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Open 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Lane & Family Swim – 11:30 a.m. to 1:25 p.m.
- Leisure Swim – 1:30 to 3:25 p.m.
- Parent and Tot Swim – 3:30 to 4:25 p.m.
- Drop-in Swim to Survive Lessons (FREE) – 3:30 to 4:25 p.m.
- Lane and Family Swim – 5 to 6:25 p.m.
- Aquafit – 6:30 to 7:25 p.m.
Skate at the INVISTA Centre:
- Parent & Tot Skating – 10:30 to 11:50 a.m.
- Public Skating – 1:30 to 3:15 p.m.
Work out at a City fitness centre:
- Drop-in to the INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. or the Artillery Park Aquatic Centre open from 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Fitness members at the INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre can bring a friend for FREE on Family Day.
- Grade 9 ActivPass FREE Fit Zone access from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the INVISTA Centre.
- Drop-in Fit Zone (ages 7 to 15 years) – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre (orientation required for new visitors)
- Family Yoga – 11 to 11:45 a.m. at INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre (members: bring your kids for FREE)
- Family Quick Fit – 12:10 to 1 p.m. at Artillery Park (members: bring your kids for FREE)
- Family Zumba – 5:10 to 6 p.m. FREE at Artillery Park
Municipal Holiday Schedule
The Family Day holiday will create some schedule changes to municipal services:
- Green Bin, garbage and recycling: No collection on Monday. Monday's collection moves to Tuesday, and for the rest of the week, collection occurs the day after the regular pick-up day. Never miss collection day again: sign-up at www.CityofKingston.ca/collection to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email. The City also offers a FREE "Kingston Waste" app for use on your Apple or Android device.
- Kingston Transit: Bus service will operate on a Sunday schedule on Monday. Regular service resumes Tuesday.
- Kingston Access Services: operates with limited service on Monday. Call 613-542-2512 for information.
- Administrative Offices, including Housing and Social Services on Montreal Street and Provincial Offences: Closed Monday.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Monday. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the city's west and east ends should call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre: Closed.
- Arenas: Open.
- INVISTA Centre: Open.
- INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wally Elmer Neighbourhood Centre: Open 2 to 4 p.m.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Open 11:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Portsmouth Olympic Harbour Building: Closed.
- Libraries: All branches of the Kingston Frontenac Public Library will be closed on Sunday and Monday.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Closed. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at www.kingstongrand.ca.
Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 120,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Our vision – to become Canada's most sustainable city – focusses our efforts on: environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality. Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, media relations officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.