News & Public Notices
City seeks input on the retail sale of cannabis
November 23, 2018 –
The City of Kingston is seeking feedback from residents on the retail sale of cannabis in Kingston.
We invite people to complete the brief survey at GetInvolved.CityofKingston.ca by 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12.
On Wednesday, Nov. 14, the Province of Ontario announced the regulations that will be put in place to allow for cannabis to be sold at licensed retail outlets throughout Ontario starting in April 2019.
Amongst other rules, the provincial regulations:
- Establish minimum allowable distance of 150m between cannabis retail stores and schools.
- Restrict those 19 and younger from entering a store where cannabis is sold.
- Require all private recreational cannabis retail storefronts to be stand-alone stores.
- Require all those working in a cannabis retail story to complete approved training.
- The results of the survey will be included in a report to Council in January 2019.
Municipalities have until Jan. 22, 2019 to decide on whether to be part of the provincial framework for selling cannabis in retail stores (municipalities may lift this decision later.) For more details see: www.CityofKingston.ca/Cannabis.