News & Public Notices
City sports fields closed due to extreme rainfall
June 11, 2014 -
Today's heavy rainfall has forced the City to close all of its sports fields.
As more extreme downpours are expected, the City is offering the following tips to residents who may encounter power outages and basement flooding associated with the weather.
- If you are a Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro customer in the city's centre experiencing a power outage you can call 613-546-1181 to hear the list of known outages and report your outage if it is not listed.
- If you are a Hydro One customer – as are most residents in the west and east ends of Kingston – you may call Hydro One's Storm Centre at 1-800-434-1235 for information. (See the Storm Centre's map at www.hydroone.com for the locations of known outages.)
- If you are a Fortis customer, you may call the 24-hour emergency line at 613-382-2118 for information.
- If you see a downed power line or tree branch that has fallen on a power line, always assume it's energized and dangerous. Stay away and call your electricity company.
- Visit www.utilitieskingston.com/Emergency/PowerOutages.aspx for a more extensive list of power-outage precautions.
A flooded basement may pose a risk of electrical shock or gas leak. When in doubt, do not enter your home's flooded area. If you are certain you can safely do so, turn off your home's power.
Leave your home immediately if you smell gas and:
- If you are a Utilities Kingston customer, call 613-546-1181, ext.2151.
- If you are a Union Gas customer, call its natural gas emergencies line at 1-877-969-0999.
Stay-tuned for any further updates at www.CityofKingston.ca or follow @cityofkingston.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.