City takes further measures to minimize risk of COVID-19 pandemic - City takes further measures to minimize risk of COVID-19 pandemic
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null City takes further measures to minimize risk of COVID-19 pandemic
March 17, 2020 -
*The City is developing operational strategies to continue to offer citizens City services while putting in place appropriate precautionary measures to protect both staff and the public during this time.
“We want to reassure the public that we continue to review our operations and take steps to reduce risk wherever possible,” says Lanie Hurdle, CAO. “We are looking to create a healthy social distance for providing services and continue to maintain our increased hygiene and cleaning measures to better protect residents and staff.”
She encourages residents to continue to wash their hands frequently, maintain a healthy distance from others and isolate themselves if they are in a high risk group.
To best mitigate the risk to the public and City employees, the City is:
- Ramping up cleaning efforts at City facilities with an increased focus on high-touch surfaces like door handles, bathrooms and common areas.
- Directing staff to work from home where possible.
- Implementing Solid Waste service changes as follows:
Counter services at the Kingston Area Recycling Centre will be provided electronically as of March 19. Recycling box and bin replacements are not available during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Only information on waste can be provided at this time, as the office is closed to the public.
- The truck scale and the recycling depot remain open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. but will now be closed Saturdays. Only five cars at a time will be allowed in to enable patrons maintain 2 metres of physical distance.*
- The yard waste depot remains open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Buy bag tags online or at one of the locations listed here (while supplies last and/or location remains open). Commercial businesses will not be sold/mailed bag tags. As of March 19, you may put up to four untagged bags out for collection during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please only put out as much as you absolutely need to!
- Giveaway Day on April 4 is cancelled.
- Open houses and tours of KARC are cancelled.
- OSKAR, the mobile event recycler, is not available. Have an upcoming event that may be affected? Email OSKAR@cityofkingston.ca.
- The opening of the Household Hazardous Waste Depot will be delayed.
- Need a Medical Exemption from the one-bag limit? Fill in this application and direct it to email@example.com. The receipt of bag tags may be delayed.
- Multi-residential condominium and commercial garbage disposal information and applications can be found here. Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residents are reminded to practice social distancing while using the public depots.
See previously announced changes to City services due to COVID-19.
Need to connect with City services?
Have a question or concern about a City service? Connect with the City:
- By phone at 613-546-0000 or
- By email to ContactUs@CityofKingston.ca.
Find answers to your COVID-19 questions from KFL&A Public Health.
*This release was updated after it was distributed to avoid confusion. Bold text reflects current instructions to the public (March 30, 9:48 a.m.).