News & Public Notices
City welcomes post-secondary students
August 31, 2015 -
New and returning Queen's University, Royal Military College and St. Lawrence College students: the City of Kingston welcomes you!
"Kingston is lucky to have three superb post-secondary institutions and September is always an exciting time as we welcome students," says Mayor Bryan Paterson. "Students play an important role making Kingston the smart and liveable city it is, and I encourage you to explore and take advantage of everything our beautiful community has to offer."
Go to www.CityofKingston.ca/students to find City links and information to help you settle-in to your home. Get information on garbage, green bin and recycling, setting up your utilities, Kingston Transit, fire prevention, property standards and things to do in Kingston.
You can also follow the City on Twitter @CityofKingston and join the conversation at #ygkstudents.
The City's customer service centre (www.CityofKingston.ca/contact-us or 613-546-0000) is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Get set to take on the year with these services:
Be ready for garbage, green bin and recycling collection
The City picks up one untagged bag/container of garbage (20kgs or under) per household per week – plus green bin organic waste and blue or grey box recyclables. Your blue box (plastic, glass, metal containers, and Styrofoam, etc.) goes out one week, your grey box (paper, boxboard and plastic bags etc.) the next.
- Student move-in, two-bag special – the City picks up two untagged bags of garbage on your first collection day after Labour Day.
- Get collection reminders – Sign-up to be reminded what to put out when by text, phone or email at www.CityofKingston.ca/collection or get the free ‘Kingston Waste' app.
- Get bag tags – Have more than one bag of garbage a week? You need bag tags. Find out where to get them, or order them online: www.CityofKingston.ca/garbage (shipping takes 5 to 7 business days). Psst: Queen's students can pick up bag tags in the AMS office or the Drug Smart Pharmacy in the Athletics & Recreation Centre.
Get blue and grey recycling boxes at:
- City Hall, 216 Ontario St. Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC), 196 Lappan's Lane, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. KARC also has free Green Bins.
- Don't know how to throw it out? Go to www.CityofKingston.ca/wastelookup.
Set up your Utilities Kingston account
- For water, wastewater, gas and electricity, open your Utilities Kingston account online at www.utilitieskingston.com/openaccount.aspx or call 613-546-0000.
- It takes at least five business days to get set up for your requested date. Only the person whose name is on the bill can make changes or close the account.
- If your meter is sealed, someone 18 or older must be at the address for the reconnection, which will turn on your power.
- Once you've received and paid your first bill, register to the MyUtilities customer portal. It shows your household consumption of water, gas and electricity and your transaction and payment history (https://my.utilitieskingston.com/app/).
- Keep in touch with your local utility company on Twitter @utilitieskngstn and Facebook /UtilitiesKingston
Explore the town
- Ride Kingston Transit using your Queen's or St. Lawrence student card and Google Transit. Plan your trip at www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
- Download Tourism Kingston's mobi app onto your smart phone at http://kingstoncanada.mobi/ . It will change the way you enjoy Kingston.
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality - - ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future. Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, communications officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.