City welcomes post-secondary students - City welcomes post-secondary students
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null City welcomes post-secondary students
August 29, 2013 -
The City welcomes new and returning Queen's University, Royal Military College and St. Lawrence College students to town with information on how to use and enjoy a variety of City services.
"Welcome home students! You are part of what makes Kingston a wonderful, lively and active place to live. We hope you enjoy your time here, explore what Kingston has to offer and consider putting down permanent roots in our beautiful city," says Mayor Mark Gerretsen.
Get set to take on the semester with these services:
Know how and when to put out your garbage, green bin and recycling
The City picks up one untagged bag of garbage per household per week plus Green Bin organic waste and Blue or Grey Box recyclables. Your Blue Box (plastic, glass, metal containers, and Styrofoam, etc.) goes out one week, your Grey Box (paper, boxboard and plastic bags etc.) the next.
- Student move-in, two-bag special: the City picks up two untagged bags of garbage the week after Labour Day. You're welcome.
- Get collection reminders: get the "Kingston Waste" app on your iPhone or Android device or go to www.CityofKingston.ca/collection to sign up to receive collection reminders of what to put out when by phone, text or email.
- Get Bag Tags: You need a bag tag to put out more than one bag of garbage a week. Find out where to get them,or order them online,at www.CityofKingston.ca/garbage
- Get Blue and Grey recycling boxes at City Hall, 216 Ontario St. Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or the Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC) at 196 Lappan's Lane, Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. or Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. KARC also has free Green Bins.
Set up your Utilities Kingston account
- Find all the information you need to open your Utilities Kingston account online at www.utilitieskingston.com/openaccount.aspx or call 613-544-0000.
- You need a minimum of 5 business days to ensure your services are setup up for your requested date – and only the person whose name is on the bill can make changes or close out the account.
- If your meter is sealed, plan to have someone 18 or older at the service address to attend the reconnection, which will turn on your power.
Plan to use Kingston Transit
- Explore the town on Kingston Transit using your Queen's or St. Lawrence student card. Plan your trip at www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner.
- Starting September 3, Kingston Transit launches the new Express routes, 501 and 502, which will offer 15-minute service during peak times and 30-minute service at off-peak times. Visit www.kingstontransit.ca to explore routes close to home and school.
Media contact: For more information call the City of Kingston's media hotline at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.