News & Public Notices
Community input invited on plans to upgrade Molly McGlynn and Shannon’s Corners
June 10, 2014 -
The City is holding Open Houses to gather input to develop conceptual design plans to improve two Kingston parks: Shannon's Corners, a rural park on Perth Road at Wagner Street, and Molly McGlynn Park in the east-end's Greenwood Park area.
"We really want to hear from the people who live in these areas and who use the parks on how we can build more serviceable and exciting spaces that respond to the community needs," says Neal Unsworth, Manager, Parks Development.
Shannon's Corners Park/Rural Parks Development
The Open House for Shannon's Corners Park is 7 p.m. on Monday, June 23 at the Glenburnie Fire Hall. The City is considering how to:
- better connect the park's land areas and surrounding street and road frontages,
- add pathways/trails, enhancements to improve site grading and drainage,
- add natural areas and plantings,
- improve open space, and
- reconfigure the play court, playground equipment and gathering areas.
At this meeting City staff will also consult with residents about the role and needs of rural parks. This will include feedback on park requirements to meet future rural community expectations.
This is the first of two community consultations on rural parks, the second meeting will be held on Monday, July 14 at the Joyceville Fire Hall beginning at 7 p.m.
Molly McGlynn Park
The Open House for Molly McGlynn Park is 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 24 at Sir John A. Macdonald Public School, 529 Martha St. The City is considering how to:
- improve the open space organization and flexible and functional areas of the park,
- improve grading and drainage,
- consider circulation and pathways,
- improve existing natural ice rink area, increase shade through plantings, and
- revisit the park gathering area to make it more functional and connected to the neighbourhood
The City has engaged Scott Wentworth Landscape group to help create the conceptual master plans for both these Kingston parks.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.