News & Public Notices
Enjoy free activities & WiFi in Springer Market Square
June 23, 2014 -
Enjoy your summer with free events, free historic tours and free WiFi in the beautiful heart of Kingston's bustling downtown: Springer Market Square.
"The events, tours and free WiFi are an opportunity for residents and visitors to enjoy the liveliness of downtown Kingston," says Luke Follwell, Director, Recreation and Leisure Services.
He notes that the bistro tables and chairs are now out for use seven days a week and restrooms are available on the lower level of City Hall (with an accessible entrance off Brock Street).
Some of this summer's activities include:
- Free First Capital Place tours – learn the history of the Square and Confederation Basin – every Saturday until August 23 – and on Tuesday, July 1 for Canada Day at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Meet at City Hall reception to take part.
- Go Fresh, Go Local! Kingston's Public Market (www.kingstonpublicmarket.ca) is open for business. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays and don't miss Chef Cooking Demos (see www.downtownkingston.ca for the line-up of chefs) every Saturday at 11 a.m.
- Visit the Discovery Wagon daily in the City Hall Court Yard. It offers self-serve entertainment including: board games, music makers, cards, puppets, bubbles, books, juggling balls, chalk, puzzles and active equipment.
- Thursday mornings, come join FamJam, offering free access to sports equipment, crafts and structured activities. Suitable for the entire family.
- Treasure-hunting at Kingston's Antique Market (www.kingstonantiquemarket.com) every Sunday.
- Free tours of City Hall: Volunteer Tour Guides are available Monday through Friday at City Hall reception to share the history of the National Historic Site.
- Presented by the City of Kingston, Arkells will be on stage for a free Rockin' the Square show Friday, Aug. 1 (www.CityofKingston.ca).
- The Cellar Door Project presents The Lockup: An historical reanimation of the 19th century jail cells in Kingston City Hall. Performances are at 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays until July 17 and tickets are $12 each at the Visitor Information Centre at 209 Ontario St. (www.cellardoorproject.com).
Downtown Kingston! also programs a wide variety of free events in Springer Market Square, including Movies in the Square, Big Band Fridays, Kingston Buskers Rendezvous and Princess Street Promenade. Visit downtownkingston.ca for a full list of events.
For a full listing of all Kingston events visit kingstoncanada.com.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116 . Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
Connect to your City.