News & Public Notices
Enjoying a beautiful garden? Enter it in Kingston Blooms.
June 27, 2014 -
Kingston's finest gardeners have until July 18 to register their own gardens – or nominate someone else's – for the Kingston Blooms front garden competition. Registration forms and terms and conditions are available for download at www.CityofKingston.ca/news – or can be requested from Sue Hitchcock, Kingston Blooms Coordinator at 613-546-4291 x 1716.
Hitchcock's team of judges will be out from August 5 to 15 evaluating front gardens in these categories:
- Small Garden 20 feet of frontage or less
- Medium Garden 21 feet to 50 feet of frontage
- Large Garden 51 feet of frontage or larger
- Seniors Garden 65 years of age or older
- Multi-Family Garden, condos, townhomes, apartment buildings
- Commercial Garden, office buildings, golf courses, hotels, cemeteries, retail, etc.
- Community Garden, planted and maintained by a community group
- Educational Institution Garden, planted and maintained by students and volunteers
- Religious Institution Garden, planted and maintained by members of the religious institution.
Utilities Kingston will present a special award to the garden and gardener receiving the highest points for the Environmental Awareness Criteria.
Judges will award points based on the "WOW" factor (the visual impact of the garden), design, maintenance and environmental awareness. Gardens can be awarded up to 100 points. Winners will be announced in October.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
Connect to your City.
Twitter: follow @CityofKingston
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/TheCityofKingston
Information Radio: 106.3 FM