News & Public Notices
Everything Drainage Workshop: protect your property from water issues
June 5, 2019 -
Utilities Kingston invites homeowners to participate in the free Everything Drainage Workshop – to help them manage excess water on their property, prevent basement flooding and comply with the City of Kingston's Sewer Use Bylaw. Utilities Kingston is also offering an enhanced option for homeowners who have participated in an Everything Drainage Workshop in the past, or for those seeking more in-depth information.
Have standing water on your property? Notice your sump pump running frequently? The Everything Drainage Workshop is for you. It's also for homeowners who would like to make every raindrop count to conserve tap water.
"Learning how stormwater and rainfall should be handled on your property can help you conserve water and reduce the risk of water damage to your property, while helping to protect your neighbours from basement flooding and sewage back-ups," says Caitlin Newey, conservation officer for Utilities Kingston.
You will learn
- Home Drainage 101
- Simple, do-it-yourself drainage solutions
- About the Preventative Plumbing Program – the popular financial assistance program to help homeowners install plumbing measures that reduce the risk of sewage back-ups and basement flooding
- How to manage standing or excess water using landscaping and rain-scaping techniques
The enhanced option offers more detailed information about managing surface and rain water, using preventative plumbing and implementing water-wise gardening practices. You'll get into the nitty-gritties, including calculating rainfall, and sizing trenches, French drains and basins.
The two-hour workshops, offered at the times below, take place at 85 Lappan's Lane. Meet at the front doors to enter the building for the workshop. Events will be held on the following dates:
- Wednesday, July 17, 6-8 p.m.
- Saturday, July 27, 10 a.m.-noon.
- Wednesday, Aug. 14, 6-8 p.m.
- Saturday, Aug. 24, 10 a.m.-noon.
To register, use our quick and easy-to-use online form at www.UtilitiesKingston.com, or call 613-546-0000 and say ‘conservation'.