News & Public Notices
Extreme heat warning: tips to stay cool
July 12, 2016 -
In response to KFL&A Public Health issuing a heat warning in Kingston this week, Utilities Kingston is providing customers with these easy tips to stay cool while saving water, energy and money:
- When you are home, turn your thermostat temperature to 24°C (75°F), the temperature most people are comfortable at during the summer.
- Turn your thermostat temperature up to 28°C (82°F) when you leave the house.
- Avoid cooling your empty home all day - especially during peak and mid-peak hours when electricity costs are higher (7 a.m. – 7 p.m.).
- Close your blinds during the day to help keep your home cool.
- Use a fan while you sleep, allowing you to set your thermostat temperature 4° higher.
- Be fridge-efficient by:
- Setting your fridge thermostat to 3°C and your freezer's to -16°C.
- Minimizing the time your fridge and freezer doors are left open.
- Unplugging your second fridge when you're not using it - even for only a few days.
- Checking your door seal by closing the door on a piece of paper. If it isn't held firmly in place, change the seal.
- Save up to $400 on ENERGY STAR® qualified central AC systems through the Save on Energy HEATING & COOLING INCENTIVE program. Visit http://bit.ly/21oz0bi to find more information and a list of participating contractors.
- Save $10 on an ENERGY STAR® certified ceiling fan with a Utilities Kingston Save on Energy Coupon.
To receive personalized tips based on your electricity consumption, opt in to our Powerful Insights program, for quarterly reports mailed right to your address. Visit http://utilitieskingston.powerfulinsights.co/ for more information on this program or to opt in for free.
If you have any questions about saving water, energy and money call Utilities Kingston at (613) 546-0000 and say "Conservation".
Media contact: For more information, call 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Utilities Kingston: Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect with Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston