News & Public Notices
Flooding update - May 6 2017 at 1 pm
May 6, 2017 -
The City of Kingston is meeting and is continuing to monitor the water levels to ensure the City of Kingston is prepared for flooding.
The City of Kingston is advising residents to take all precautions necessary to prepare for flooding.
- Keeping catch basins in front of your home clear of leaves and debris.
- Ensuring backwater valves and sump pumps are working properly.
- Remove items from low areas that could be damaged by water.
- Move valuables and furniture to higher levels.
- Disconnect electrical appliances. Do not touch them if you are wet or standing in water.
- Bring outside possessions indoors or tie them down securely. This includes lawn furniture, garbage cans and other moveable objects.
- Seal vents to basements to prevent flooding.
Residents are urged to stay away from the edge of the water. Keep children and pets away from fast moving water.
The City of Kingston has a limited number of sand bags available for the public. If residents have questions or concerns about their property, please contact the City of Kingston at 613-546-0000 for information about sand bags.
For information on filling sand bags and building a sand bag berm please visit CRCA website. www.crca.ca
Road closures due to flooding
- Abbey Dawn Road (at Hwy #2)
There are additional roads that are impacted by road flooding, they remain passable.
For information and updates monitor www.CityofKingston.ca/News or follow us on Twitter @CityofKingston
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality –ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future.
Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton at 613-329-3462