News & Public Notices
Friday Traffic Report
May 2, 2014 -
Please see below for a list of road construction projects and events that are expected to have an impact on traffic flow next week as well as an information bulletin from Parks Canada regarding upcoming closures and delays on their bridges in Kingston. There is also an advisory from Public Works and Government Services Canada regarding a closure of the La Salle Causeway.
See the entire 2011-2014 infrastructure program at www.cityofkingston.ca/construction.
For updates on Highway 401 construction visit the Ministry of Transportation's website at www.roadinfo.mto.gov.on.ca or call 5-1-1.
Other Road Closures:
- Princess St. is closed from Macdonnell St. to Tower St. until late June as part of the Williamsville reconstruction project. Businesses and medical offices are still accessible. For more information see www.cityofkingston.ca/Williamsville.
- Barbara Ave. is closed from Division St. to Alfred Cres. until early July.
- Palace Rd. is closed from Carruthers Ave. to Park St. until mid-May.
- Palace Rd. will also be closed from Brock St. Carruthers Ave beginning May 7 until early July.
Other Traffic Delays:
- Taylor Kidd Blvd. will experience delays from Bayridge Dr. to Princess St. between May 5 and May 7 while crews seal cracks in the road surface.
- Bath Rd. will experience delays from Centennial Dr. to Vista Dr. between May 6 and May 9 while crews seal cracks in the road surface.
- Palace Rd. will experience delays from Johnson St. to Brock St. beginning May 7 until mid-June while crews replace the underground infrastructure.
- Brock St will experience delays at the Palace Rd. intersection beginning May 7 until end of June while crews replace the underground infrastructure.
- Ontario Street will be closed from Johnson to West on Sunday, May 4 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for the DND Battle of Atlantic Parade and Memorial Service at Naval Memorial Park
- Ontario Street will be closed from Clarence to Brock and Market Street will be closed from Ontario to King on Sunday, May 4 from 8:40 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. for the RMC Copper Sunday Parade
- Ontario Street will be closed from Brock to Clarence on Saturday, May 10 from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. for a Fundraising Event for Breast Cancer Action Kingston
The following closures are necessary to accommodate events at Rogers K-Rock Centre:
- King Street from The Tragically Hip Way to Place D'Armes on Saturday, May 2 from 12:01 a.m. to May 3 at 11:59 for the Science Rendezvous Parking Needs
- The Tragically Hip Way from King to Ontario on Saturday, May 3 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. for the Science Rendezvous 2014 for the Queen's University Community Outreach Centre
- King Street from The Tragically Hip Way to Place D'Armes on Saturday, May 6 from 12:01 to Sunday, May 7 at 1:01 a.m. for the Backstreet Boys Concert
- King Street from The Tragically Hip Way to Place D'Armes on Friday, May 9 for Gordon Lightfoot
- King Street from The Tragically Hip Way to Place D'Armes on Tuesday, May 13 for City & Color
La Salle Causeway
Public Works and Government Services Canada has advised of an upcoming closure of the La Salle Causeway for inspections beginning Wednesday, May 7 at 10 p.m. until Thursday, May 8 at 6 a.m. This work may be postponed due to weather.
Parks Canada Advisory
The Government of Canada has made record investments toward heritage canals. In the coming weeks, Parks Canada will be conducting spring maintenance at some of our swing bridges and sites, in preparation for the 2014 navigation season. This includes preventative maintenance tasks like washing and greasing swing bridges and conducting visual inspections to ensure their safe operability.
- The Director of Ontario Waterways for Parks Canada advises of the following temporary bridge closures for this regular spring maintenance, weather permitting: May 12-13 Kingston Mills (Kingston)
- Seasonal maintenance on certain swing bridges that cross the Rideau Canal will not result in closures, but vehicles may experience short delays of about 10 minutes: May 5-6 Brass Point Bridge (Kingston); May 7-8 Lower Brewers (Kingston)
Motorists are invited to plan their routes accordingly in order to avoid delays. To accommodate school bus traffic, efforts will be made to keep bridges closures between 9:30 am and 2:30 pm. Parks Canada wishes to thank bridge users for their patience during the maintenance period.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Communications Officer 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call the City of Kingston's media hotline at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
Connect to your City.
Parks Canada Contact:
Paul Galipeau, External Relations
Rideau Canal, Parks Canada
613-283-7199 ext. 221