News & Public Notices
Friday Traffic Report - March 29 to April 5
March 29, 2019 –
Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians: review the listing of streets and related messages below for travel information of interest to you.
Traffic and pedestrian impacts this week:
- John Counter Boulevard – east of Ascot Lane to Cataraqui River – until the Third Crossing Bridge is complete. The area will be fenced off and there will be no access to the water at the end of John Counter.
- King Street – from The Tragically Hip Way to Place d'Armes – will be closed from 6 a.m. on Saturday, March 30 to 1 a.m. on Monday, April 1 for the Luke Combs and Rock of Ages concerts.
- Terry Fox Drive – at Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard – expect the westbound approach to be closed 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. through March 30 for gas main maintenance by Utilities Kingston.
- Gore Road – at Point St. Mark Drive – expect periodic lane closures through March 29 to accommodate tree removals. Watch for workers safely directing traffic.
- Highway 401 – at Highway 38/Gardiners Road – expect lane closures on the 401 until November 2020 and delays of up to 10 minutes nightly from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. on the westbound 401. A new carpool lot will open here Nov. 30, 2019. Ontario highway updates are offered by the Ministry of Transportation.
- Jackson Mills Road – from Bur Brook Road to 400m south (near the K&P Trail) – reduced to one lane for roadside safety improvements but both directions remain open.
- John Counter Boulevard – from Portsmouth to Princess – expect road delays until mid-April while Bell Canada and Utilities Kingston crews relocate the overhead wires in preparation for the next phase of the John Counter improvements.
- Place d'Armes – from Ontario to King – expect lane shifts daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. from April 1 to June 1 to allow for lifts of roofing materials onto 1 Place d'Armes.*
- Terry Fox Drive – at Sir John A. Macdonald Boulevard – expect the westbound approach to be closed 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily through March 30 for gas main maintenance by Utilities Kingston.
- University Avenue – from Princess to Garrett – expect lane closures daily from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 1 to 3 to accommodate installation of new service connections for 333 University Ave.*
Sidewalks and pedestrian pathway
- Gore Road community garden and dog park pathway – expect short (five-minute) closures of the pathway through March 29 to allow for equipment to be unloaded. Watch for safe direction from workers.
- King Street – from The Tragically Hip Way to Place d'Armes – these sidewalks will be closed from 6 a.m. Saturday, March 30 to 1 a.m. Sunday, March 31 to ensure fan safety and meet the high-level security needs of the sold-out Luke Combs concert at the Leon's Centre.
*This information was added after this release was distributed.
Traffic-related links and messages:
- Load restrictions in effect: Until the end of April, heavy trucks/loads are restricted on City roads, where posted, each spring to reduce damage.
- Kingston Transit detours: www.CityofKingston.ca/BusDetours.
- Daily updates: Follow @CityofKingston on Twitter – https://twitter.com/cityofkingston.
- Ministry of Transportation updates – For bilingual travel information on Ontario highways visit www.Ontario.ca/511, call 5-1-1 or follow @511Ontario (English) or @Ontario511 (French) on Twitter.
- City's infrastructure program: www.CityofKingston.ca/Construction.