News & Public Notices
Grades 9 and 10 students to get free rides on Kingston Transit
Aug. 21, 2013 -
This fall, Grade 9 and 10 students with the Limestone District and the Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Boards are eligible for free Kingston Transit passes.
This program, available to Grade 9 students last year as a pilot project, is now being extended to include Grade 10 students, thanks to a cost-sharing partnership between the City and the two school boards.
"We want our young people to see how easy it is to get around Kingston by bus. We know that once they use public transit, they will be more apt to choose the bus as an active and green way to travel," says Mayor Mark Gerretsen. He notes that students will be able to take immediate advantage of the new Kingston Transit express routes starting Tuesday, Sept. 3. The Express service provides 15-minute service during peak times and 30-minute service during off-peak times.
"This expanded initiative will help fill a gap for some students without access to reliable transportation to various recreational programs throughout the city, part-time jobs and volunteer opportunities," says Brenda Hunter, Director of Education for the Limestone District School Board.
"We are delighted to be able to offer this to our Grade 9 and 10 students. They know taking the bus is a great way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, stay active and get to where they want to go," says Jody DiRocco, Director of Education for the Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic District School Board.
Students starting Grade 9 or 10 this September at one of the schools listed below can get their Kingston Transit pass by presenting the following items at City Hall, 216 Ontario St. or the Information Desk at the Cataraqui Centre:
- A current 2013-2014 Grade 9 or 10 student timetable and a birth certificate, OR
- A valid 2013-2014 Grade 9 or 10 student photo I.D. card.
The transit pass is valid from Sept. 1, 2013 until Aug. 31, 2014 and is only for students attending one of these schools:
- Bayridge Secondary School
- École Secondaire Catholique Marie-Rivier
- École Secondaire Publique Mille-Iles
- Ernestown Secondary School
- Frontenac Secondary School
- Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School
- Kingston Collegiate & Vocational Institute
- LaSalle Secondary School
- Loyalist Collegiate & Vocational Institute
- Queen Elizabeth Collegiate & Vocational Institute
- Regiopolis-Notre Dame Catholic High School
Plan your bus trip at: kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner