News & Public Notices
Holiday fire-safe tips
December 7, 2017 -
- Keep your tree fire-free. Buy a fresh tree and keep the base of the trunk in water at all times. Lit candles should never be placed on or near the Christmas tree.
- Check all sets of lights before using them. Discard any light sets that are damaged or old. Make sure that you use the proper lights for the environment — indoor sets for inside the house and outdoor sets for outside the house.
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of kitchen fires.
- Keep candles in a sturdy holder away from children, pets, and combustible materials. Blow candles out before leaving the room.
- Avoid overloading circuits with plugs and extension cords which can overheat and cause a fire.
- Keep space heaters one metre away from anything that can burn including holiday decorations.
- Alcohol and fire are a dangerous mix. Do not attempt to cook or smoke while under the influence of alcohol.
- Encourage smokers to smoke outside.
- Install smoke alarms on every storey and outside sleeping areas. For added protection, install a smoke alarm in each bedroom. Test alarms monthly.
- Smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms and fire extinguishers make excellent gifts.
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 125,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Kingston is focusing on being smart and livable as it pursues its vision to become Canada's most sustainable city. We focus on environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality -- ensuring that today's decisions don't compromise our future.
Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.