News & Public Notices
Holidays to affect City services schedule
December 18, 2017 -
City of Kingston services and facilities will be affected by the holidays as follows:
Christmas and New Year's Holiday Green Bin, Garbage and Recycling Schedule
There is no collection on Dec. 25 or 26 or on Jan. 1. Put your collectibles out two days after your normal pick-up day next week – even if that means putting it out on the weekend – and one day after your normal pick-up day the first week of January.
Two-Untagged Bag Reminder: Your household can put out two untagged bags or cans of garbage for your first collection day after New Year's Day (the two-bag collection days are Jan. 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6).
Never Miss Collection Day: Go to www.CityofKingston.ca/Collection to sign-up to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email. They keep track of holiday changes for you. The City also offers a FREE "Kingston Waste" app for use on your Apple or Android device.
Kingston Transit Schedule
Plan your bus trip at www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
- Christmas Eve, Sunday, Dec. 24 – Regular Sunday service.
- Christmas Day, Monday, Dec. 25 – No service.
- Boxing Day, Tuesday, Dec. 26 – Sunday service, except for Route 18, which runs on regular weekday service.
- New Year's Eve, Sunday, Dec. 31 – Regular Sunday service.
- New Year's Day, Monday, Jan. 1 – No service.
Kingston Access Services – limited service Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1. Expanded evening hours are being offered on Dec. 31 (in addition to regular service).
- Administrative offices, including housing and social services on Montreal Street and Provincial Offences: Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1. Utilities Kingston offices close at noon on Dec. 22 and Dec. 29. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call Utilities Kingston/Kingston Hydro's 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. (Hydro One electricity customers in City west and east can call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999).
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library branches: Closed Dec. 24 to 27 and Dec. 31 to Jan. 2.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Open until 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31. Closed Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1.
- INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Open until 1:30 p.m. on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31. Closed Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1.
- Arenas: Open until 4 p.m. on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31. Closed Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Open noon to 4 p.m. on Dec. 24 and from Dec. 28 to 31. Closed Dec. 25 to 27 and Jan. 1. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at www.kingstongrand.ca.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC): Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1. Christmas trees can be dropped off free-of-charge at KARC, 196 Lappan's Lane.
Kingston Fire & Rescue reminds you: NEVER BURN wrapping paper or Christmas trees in your fireplace. They burn too hot and create creosote, which can cause chimney fires.
About the City of Kingston
Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.