News & Public Notices
Holidays to affect City services schedule
December 17, 2018 -
Green Bin, Garbage and Recycling Schedule
There is no collection on Dec. 25 or 26 or on Jan. 1. Monday's collection is not affected by the holidays. Unless your pick-up day is Monday, put your collectibles out two days after your normal pick-up day next week – even if that means putting it out on the weekend – and one day after your normal pick-up day following New Year's Day.
Two-Untagged Bag Reminder
Your household can put out two untagged bags or cans of garbage for your first collection day after New Year's Day (the two-bag collection days are Jan. 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7).
Never Miss Collection Day
Go to www.CityofKingston.ca/Collection to sign-up to receive collection reminders by phone, text or email. They keep track of holiday changes for you. The City also offers a FREE "Kingston Waste" app for use on your Apple or Android device.
Kingston Transit Schedule
Plan your bus trip at www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
- Christmas Eve, Monday, Dec. 24 – Regular weekday service.
- Christmas Day, Tuesday, Dec. 25 – No service.
- Boxing Day, Wednesday, Dec. 26 – Sunday service – except for Route 18, which runs on regular weekday service.
- New Year's Eve, Monday, Dec. 31 – Regular weekday service.
- New Year's Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1 – No service.
Kingston Access Services Schedule
- Christmas Eve, Monday, Dec. 24 – Regular on-road service and hours. Office closes at 5 p.m.
- Christmas Day, Tuesday, Dec. 25 – Limited on-road service, 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Office closed.
- Boxing Day, Wednesday, Dec. 26 – Limited on-road service, 6am-11:30pm. Office opens 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- New Year's Eve, Monday, Dec. 31 – Regular on-road service and hours. Office closes at 5 p.m.
- New Year's Day, Tuesday, Jan. 1 – No service. Office closed.
- Administrative offices, including housing and social services on Montreal Street and Provincial Offences: Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1.
- Utilities Kingston and Kingston Hydro: Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1. In the event of a utility emergency, such as a gas smell, power outage or a water main break, call the Utilities Kingston 24-hour number at 613-546-1181. Hydro One electricity customers in the west and east ends can call 1-800-434-1235. Union Gas customers can call 1-877-969-0999. Remember: for electricity used on weekends and holidays, electricity prices are off-peak.
- Kingston Frontenac Public Library branches: Closed Dec. 23 to 26 and Dec. 30 to Jan. 1.
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Open until 4 p.m. on Dec. 24 and 31. Closed Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1.
- INVISTA Fitness & Wellness Centre: Open until 4 p.m. on Dec. 24 and 31. Closed Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre and Library: Open until 4 p.m. on Dec. 24 and 31. Closed Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1.
- Arenas: Open until 4 p.m. on Dec. 24 and Dec. 31. Closed Dec. 25 and 26 and Jan. 1.
- Grand Theatre Box Office: Open noon to 4 p.m. on Dec. 24 and 31 and from noon to 6 p.m. on Dec. 28 and 29. Closed Dec. 25 to 27 and Jan. 1. Tickets for all shows can be purchased online 24 hours a day at www.kingstongrand.ca.
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC): Closed Dec. 25, 26 and Jan. 1. Christmas trees can be dropped off free-of-charge at KARC, 196 Lappan's Lane.
- Tett Centre: Closed to the public Dec. 24 to 26 and 31 and Jan. 1.
- Heritage Resource Centre: Closed from Dec. 19 to Jan. 2.
Kingston Fire & Rescue reminds you: Never burn wrapping paper or Christmas trees in your fireplace. They burn too hot and create creosote, which can cause chimney fires.