Household Hazardous Waste facility closing - Household Hazardous Waste facility closing
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Household Hazardous Waste facility closing
November 25, 2019 -
The last drop-off days for the year at the Household Hazardous Waste facility at the Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC), 196 Lappan's Lane, are:
- Thursday, Nov. 28 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Saturday, Nov. 30 (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Before heading out to the Household Hazardous Waste facility:
- Check your household for hazardous waste items like: pesticides, batteries (single-use, rechargeable and automotive), solvents, pool chemicals, paint thinners, removers or strippers, paint, paint thinners, oven cleaners, bleach, drain cleaners, ammonia, motor oil and motor oil containers, antifreeze, propane cylinders and compact fluorescent light bulbs. See a full list at www.CityofKingston.ca/HHW.
- Bring proof of residency. The City reports households that visit the facility from Kingston, as well as from adjacent municipalities. Proof of residency (i.e., driver's licence, health card, etc.) is required upon delivery of household hazardous waste.
Over the winter, store hazardous materials in original containers in a cool, dry place, safely away from food, children or pets.
Never put hazardous waste in the garbage or down the drain. Look for warning labels and instructions on products and handle any potentially hazardous materials with care. Do not mix hazardous materials and, when possible, bring items in their original containers.
Medications, batteries and compact fluorescent bulbs can be disposed of as follows:
- Medications: return unused or expired medications and sharps for free to participating pharmacies in Kingston. For a list of collection locations near you, please visit www.healthsteward.ca/returns/ontario.
- Batteries: Drop off batteries (single-use and rechargeable only) any time at: City Hall, 216 Ontario St.; INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.; or the main office at KARC.
- Compact fluorescent bulbs: These are accepted year-round in the main office at KARC.