News & Public Notices
Household Hazardous Waste facility closing
November 18, 2013 -
November 30 is the last day to drop off items until the facility re-opens in April
The last drop-off days for the year at the Household Hazardous Waste facility at 196 Lappan's Lane are:
- Thursday, Nov. 28 (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Saturday, Nov. 30 (8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
The facility reopens on April 3, 2014. See www.makethedrop.ca for a list of retailers who accept certain hazardous waste items year-round.
Never put hazardous waste in the garbage or down the drain. Look for warning labels and instructions on products and handle any potentially hazardous materials with care. Do not mix hazardous materials and, when possible, bring items in their original containers.
Before heading out to the Household Hazardous Waste facility:
- Check your household for hazardous waste items like: un-used medications, pesticides, batteries (single-use, rechargeable and automotive), solvents, pool chemicals, paint thinners, removers or strippers, paint, paint thinners, oven cleaners, bleach, drain cleaners, ammonia, oil and oil containers, antifreeze, propane cylinders, needles and syringes and compact fluorescent light bulbs. See a full list at www.CityofKingston.ca/hhw
- Not sure an item is hazardous? See www.CityofKingston.ca/wastelookup
- Bring proof of residency. The City reports households that visit the facility from Kingston, as well as from adjacent municipalities. Proof of residency (i.e., driver's license, etc.) is required upon delivery of household hazardous waste.
During winter, residents should store hazardous materials in their original containers in a cool, dry place safely away from food, children or pets.
Residents can drop off used batteries (single-use and rechargeable only) at these locations: City Hall, 216 Ontario St.; the INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.; Rideaucrest Home, 175 Rideau St.; Portsmouth Olympic Harbour, 53 Yonge St.; or the Kingston Area Recycling Centre (KARC) at 196 Lappan's Lane.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Communications Officer 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call the City of Kingston's media hotline at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.