News & Public Notices
Household Hazardous Waste facility opens for season
March 31, 2014 -
The Household Hazardous Waste facility opens for the season on Thursday, April 3. The facility, at 196 Lappan's Lane is open April through November:
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every Thursday
- 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Saturday
Please bring proof of residency (i.e. a driver's licence) when dropping off household hazardous waste. For reporting purposes, the City tracks whether facility visitors are from Kingston or another nearby community.
Certain household hazardous waste items can be dropped off at other locations.
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury and are hazardous waste. They can be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste facility or any Canadian Tire store in Kingston.
- Batteries may be dropped off at City Hall, 216 Ontario St.; the INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd.; KARC, 196 Lappan's Lane; or see www.call2recycle.org or www.rawmaterials.com for battery recycling drop-off locations.
- Expired pharmaceuticals and your needles: www.healthsteward.ca/returns/ontario If you find a needle, do not touch it. Contact KFL&A Public Health via the Street Health Centre at 613-549-1440 to report its location.
- See Stewardship Ontario's www.makethedrop.ca to find a list of retailers that take some household hazardous waste items.
About Household Hazardous Waste
Never put hazardous material in with regular garbage or pour it down a drain or toilet. Store hazardous material in original containers in a cool, dry place safely away from food, children or pets until you can bring it to the Household Hazardous Waste facility.
Look for warning labels and instructions on products and handle any potentially hazardous materials with care. Do not mix hazardous materials and, when possible, bring items in their original containers.
Don't know where it goes? www.CityofKingston.ca/wastelookup
Residents are reminded City bylaws prohibit the illegal disposal of waste and interfering with waste put out for disposal (see www.CityofKingston.ca/city-hall/bylaw-enforcement).
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, Media Relations Officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116. Or call Communications at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.