Kingston Hydro continues to perform strongly against provincial targets - Kingston Hydro continues to perform strongly against provincial targets
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Kingston Hydro continues to perform strongly against provincial targets
October 03, 2016 -
Kingston Hydro's 2015 performance has, again, received high scores from the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) – the third year the energy regulator has issued a scorecard. The scorecard confirms that Kingston Hydro continues to perform strongly against provincial targets.
"Kingston Hydro benefits from being operated as part of Utilities Kingston's multi-utility structure. Our high scores highlight the customer service and cost saving benefits of this service delivery model. I'm proud to report that we've achieved or exceeded 2015 industry and distributor targets," says Jim Keech, president and CEO of Utilities Kingston.
Utilities Kingston provides multiple utility services under one roof, including water, wastewater, gas, electricity and fibre optics, which is unique amongst Ontario's utility providers.
Here are some of the highlights of the Kingston Hydro scorecard, available in its full form (along with frequently asked questions) at www.kingstonhydro.com.
Highlights from the Kingston Hydro scorecard for 2015
- Kingston Hydro received perfect scores – 100 per cent – again this year for meeting 816 appointments and connecting 257 new residential and small business services on time.
- It scored 99.68 per cent on billing accuracy on the 346,249 bills issued, a slight decrease from the shorter period reported on in 2014, but still well above the required industry target of 98 per cent of all bills being accurate.
- It remains above the industry target for answering calls on time, despite an 11 per cent increase in call volume. Customer Service Representatives responded to 57,412 calls in 2015. Calls increased primarily due to external factors such as regulatory changes and loss of power supply from the provincial transmission system.
- Ideally, customer concerns and issues are resolved the first time the customer contacts the utility. In 2015, 99.13 per cent of eligible contacts were answered without having to transfer to another staff member. This is an improvement over the 2014 results.
- In 2015, the average length of power outages was 0.93 hours – just under 56 minutes. This is well below the distributor target of 2.03 hours, and well below the 2.3 hour combined average of the previous four years.
- The average number of times that power to a customer was interrupted was 0.91 – an increase from last year, but below prior reporting years, and well below the distributor target of 1.41 times. When a switch on a main feed failed in the summer of 2015, it interrupted power to thousands of customers. This single occurrence increased the average number of times that customers lost their electricity from a frequency of 0.67 to 0.91.
- Over the 2011-2015 period, Kingston Hydro's total cost per customer to provide electricity distribution services increased 4.4 per cent, an average increase of 1.1 per cent, per year. The per-customer cost for 2015 is $522 per customer, a 4.2 per cent increase from 2014, approximating the industry average of 3.9 per cent.
Public policy responsiveness:
Results published by the Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) indicate that, during 2015, Kingston Hydro achieved 4.4 GWh of long-term annual savings, or 12.9 per cent of its 34.5 GWh year 2020 savings target.
Media contact: For more information contact 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.
About Kingston Hydro
Kingston Hydro is the Ontario Energy Board-licensed distributor of electricity in Central Kingston. The company owns the wires, poles, transformers and meters that bring electricity from the provincial electricity transmission grid to 27,000 homes and businesses in Central Kingston, Canadian Forces Base Kingston, and parts of Barriefield Village. The assets of the corporation are proudly maintained and operated by the employees of Utilities Kingston.
About Utilities Kingston
Utilities Kingston operates multiple utilities through a single service structure, allowing it to deliver cost savings and customer service excellence. The company is unique in Ontario, combining water, wastewater, gas and electrical services, and broadband fibre optics in one company. Trusted by customers to deliver reliable utilities for more than 150 years, employees are proud to provide personal, responsive services.
Connect to Utilities Kingston – all your utility needs under one roof.
Twitter: follow @www.twitter.com/utilitieskngstn
Facebook: Like us at www.facebook.com/utilitieskingston