News & Public Notices
Kingston Transit hit a record six million riders in 2017
January 2, 2018 -
Kingston Transit hit a record six million rides in 2017 – the fourth consecutive year it has increased ridership by more than 10 per cent.
"We hit four million rides in 2014, five million in 2016 and now we are at six million and counting. Our riders know the bus is an economical, environmentally friendly and active choice – and now more people are discovering it's easier than ever to get around Kingston by bus," says Jeremy DaCosta, general manager, Kingston Transit.
Thanks, in large part, to the introduction of Express routes, ridership jumped 13 per cent in 2014, 11.3 per cent in 2015 and 11.5 per cent in 2016.
Express Route 801/802 Coming to Montreal Street in May 2018
Ridership has been growing at higher than projected rates and is expected to continue to rise as Kingston Transit will be introducing a new 801/802 Express route along the Montreal Street corridor in May 2018.
The six-million-ride milestone has been hit just a couple of weeks following the release of 2016 census data that indicated that the share of Kingstonians commuting by bus increased 33 per cent between 2011 and 2016.
The dramatic increase in ridership is attributed to:
- The introduction of Express routes beginning in 2013 and additional Express routes in 2015
- Making real-time bus arrival and trip information available to passengers
- Extended Sunday and holiday service
- Free transit for children 14 and under
- School board partnerships enabling high school students to ride for free and the creation of the teacher Field Trip Pass Program allowing classes to use public transit for local field trips.
- Improved fare options for commuters
- An expanded employer (Transpass) pass program (providing the convenience of automatic monthly renewals through payroll deduction)
Plan your bus trip at: www.KingstonTransit.ca/TripPlanner.
About the City of Kingston
Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Kingston Transit Twitter: @KingstonTransit
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.