News & Public Notices
Learn to be water smart during drowning prevention week
July 13, 2016 -
The City of Kingston marks Drowning Prevention Week with water safety education activities at Tomlinson Aqua Park from July 16 to 22.
"Learning to swim is only one way to prevent drowning. The activities at Tomlinson Aqua Park will teach adults and children the importanceof wearing a properly fitting life jacket, how to be safe while boating and more ways to be water smart" says Lynda Breen, supervisor, recreation services at the City of Kingston.
"We have made the activities fun, too! The water safety carnival and scavenger hunt encourages kids of all ages to take part in Drowning Prevention Week," adds Breen.
Activities will take place at Tomlinson Aqua Park next to the Memorial Centre at 303 York St. (unless otherwise noted).
- Water Smart Contest colouring contest and activity pages for kids of all ages
- Interactive water safety boards
- Make a donation to the Week To End Drowning donation wall
- Swim 25 metres in the Canada Swim Team Lane to receive a Canada Swim Team membership card
- Sponsor a City lifeguard participating in the 500 Metres for 500 Lives swim challenge
- Saturday, July 16 - Water Safety Carnival. Games, contests, face painting and water-safety activities. Outside the Memorial Centre Market, 303 York St. 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, July 17 - Junior Lifeguard Day. Follow a City of Kingston lifeguard to learn about their job and become an honourary guard. Take part in the throwing rescue contest. 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday, July 18 - Water Safety Scavenger Hunt. Complete a scavenger hunt using your water safety knowledge for a chance to win prizes. 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 19 - Lifejacket Day. Decorate your own lifejacket, take part in the fashion show and visit the lifejacket fitting and info station. 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fashion show 3 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 20 - Boating Safety Day. Make your own boat. 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, July 21 - Toys will be out during public swim and City lifeguards will be taking part in the 500 Metres for 500 Lives swim challenge. 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Friday, July 22 - Cannonball contest. Show off your skills and compete against your friends and family to you see how many cannonballs you can do! 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
All events occurring in the pool enclosure are through admission only. Activities outside pool enclosure, including the Water Safety Carnival, throwing rescue contest and Water Smart colouring contest do not require admission to Tomlinson Aqua Park and can be attended free of charge.
About the City of Kingston
Media contact: For more information contact the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.