Learn to be water smart during drowning prevention week - Learn to be water smart during drowning prevention week
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Learn to be water smart during drowning prevention week
July 16, 2015 -
Next week is Drowning Prevention Week and the City of Kingston is offering a variety of activities to highlight the importance of being water smart.
These Drowning Prevention Week activities and events take place at Tomlinson Aqua Park beside the Memorial Centre at 303 York St. (unless otherwise noted).
- Create a Lifesaving Society Water Smart superhero colouring contest! Enter your drawing at Tomlinson Aqua Park's front desk by Friday, July 24 for a chance to win a Buddy the Lifeguard Dog shirt. The winner will be announced on July 25.
- Colouring pages and activity sheet for kids of all ages
- Canada Swim Team Lane: from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. swim 25m and receive a Canada Swim Team membership card.
- Participate in the week-to-end -drowning donation wall in the lobby of the Tomlinson Aqua Park. Add your name to a rescue tube to support Lifesaving Society drowning prevention. Get one rescue tube for a $2 donation or three tubes for $5.
- 500m for 500 lives: Lifeguards will be swimming 500m to raise funds for drowning prevention. Want to sponsor a lifeguard? Contact Erin Mailloux at email@example.com.
- Sunday, July 19 – visit the drowning prevention booth at the Memorial Centre Market, 303 York St. from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Enter to win a family four-pack of tickets to Tomlinson Aqua Park.
- Monday, July 20 – Drowning prevention session from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in front of the Memorial Centre. See how many ducks you can toss in a bucket from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 21 – Drowning prevention session from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in front of the Memorial Centre. Enter to win a family four-pack of tickets to Tomlinson Aqua Park.
- Wednesday, July 22 – Have fun with Tomlinson Aqua Park toys from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, July 23 – Donate to the Lifesaving Society for Drowning Prevention to have your face painted from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. See how many ducks you can toss in a bucket from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Friday, July 24 – Free Swim-to-Survive lesson for ages 6+ from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Drowning prevention session from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. in front of the Memorial Centre. Donate to the Lifesaving Society for Drowning Prevention to toss a water balloon at a lifeguard.
- Saturday, July 25 – It's Lifejacket Day! From 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. attend the drowning prevention session in front of the Memorial Centre; first come, first serve freezies; and donate to the Lifesaving Society for Drowning Prevention to have your face painted or to toss a water balloon at a lifeguard. Tomlinson Aqua Park toys will be out from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Plan your bus trip with Google Transit: www.kingstontransit.ca/tripplanner
About the City of Kingston
The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 120,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Our vision – to become Canada's most sustainable city – focusses our efforts on: environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality.
Please visit www.CityofKingston.ca and join the conversation on social media.
Media contact: For more information contact Cindie Ashton, communications officer, 613-546-4291, ext. 3116, or call the communications department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.