News & Public Notices
Mayor Paterson seeks infrastructure details in provincial budget appeal
February 1, 2016 -
The City of Kingston has presented its priorities – including funding for a third crossing and transit expansion – as part of the Ontario government's 2016 pre-budget consultations. Mayor Bryan Paterson is also pressing the provincial government for details on provincial infrastructure funding for municipalities with more than100,000 residents.
"We appreciate that the Ontario government is committed to investing in municipal infrastructure, but as a city of over 100,000 there is currently no program or funding source for us to apply to," said Paterson. "Without a program, we can't predict what, if any, provincial funds will be available to us."
Last year, the City joined other municipalities in calling for predictable municipal infrastructure investment. In response, the province created two distinct infrastructure funds: one for the Greater Toronto-Hamilton Area, and one for other municipalities.
"It's no secret municipalities are looking for stable infrastructure investments from the other levels of government," said Paterson. "We're doing our part by committing to a one per cent annual tax increase to develop and maintain our built environment but we're looking for the province to come to the table with program details."
The City consistently participates in the Ontario budget consultations, previously presenting in person to the Ontario Standing Committee of Finance and Economic Affairs and providing written submissions. The government's pre-budget consultations wrap up at the end of January and the 2016 Ontario Budget is expected to be delivered at Queen's Park in March.
For more information contact:
Mayor Bryan Paterson
613-546-4291 ext. 1405