Nominations for municipal election close Friday - Nominations for municipal election close Friday
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Nominations for municipal election close Friday
July 23, 2018 -
Attention all prospective candidates: Nominations for the Oct. 22 municipal and school board elections close at 2 p.m. this Friday, July 27.
You may run for municipal office if, on voting day, you are:
- A resident in the municipality or are the owner or tenant of land there, or the spouse of such an owner or tenant;
- A Canadian citizen;
- At least 18 years old; and
- Not prohibited from voting under the Municipal Elections Act.
You may run for school board trustee if, on voting day, you are:
- A resident within the jurisdiction of the school board and a supporter of that school board;
- A Canadian Citizen;
- At least 18 years old;
- Are eligible to vote in a school board election;
- Meet any other qualifications to vote for the school board (e.g. being a Roman Catholic or holding French language rights); and
- Not legally prohibited from voting
Nominations must be submitted in person using forms available on the City's website or at the Elections Office, together with a filing fee ($200 to run for mayor and $100 to run for other offices). Municipal candidates require 25 signatures of endorsement. The forms and more information about the roles of mayor, city councillors, school board trustees can be found at www.CityofKingston.ca/city-hall/elections/resources.
Potential candidates are also welcome to visit or contact the Elections Office in City Hall with their election-related questions (email@example.com or 613-546-4291, ext. 1430).
Share. Participate. Engage. – GetInvolved.CityofKingston.ca
About the City of Kingston
Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Twitter – @CityofKingston
Facebook – www.facebook.com/TheCityofKingston
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.