News & Public Notices
Notice of a public meeting regarding a proposed amendment to the Official Plan
September 13, 2016 -
A public meeting will be held on Thursday, Oct. 6, 2016 at 6:30 p.m. in Council Chambers, City Hall, 216 Ontario St.
Address of property: City-wide (location in DASH shown as City Hall, 216 Ontario St.)
Applicant: The Corporation of the City of Kingston
City file number: D09-002-2016
Purpose and effect of the proposed amendment: To implement the recommendations of the Commercial Land Review Final Report dated March 2016.
The City of Kingston is undertaking an amendment to the Official Plan to implement the recommendations of the Commercial Land Review Final Report completed in March 2016 by SGL Planning and Design Inc. and urbanMetrics inc. The following is a summary of the proposed revisions:
- Addition of new requirement for a commercial inventory, a market justification and a demonstration of why the proposed new commercial use cannot be located on existing commercially designated lands for applications that proposed new commercial areas;
- Addition of new locational criteria for Arterial Commercial uses;
- Addition of new development criteria for vehicle sales lots in the Arterial Commercial designation;
- Introduction of urban design policies for new Main Street Commercial areas;
- Addition of new development criteria for Neighbourhood Commercial uses;
- Introduction of policies to permit live-work opportunities in Residential areas;
- Refinement of residential use policies in the Regional Commercial, District Commercial, and Arterial Commercial designations;
- Revisions to the Arterial Commercial and Neighborhood Commercial policies to generalize the permitted uses to be consistent with the other commercial land use designation policies;
- Addition of policies indicating that a market study may be required for new Rural Commercial uses;
- Revisions to the commercial policies of the Cataraqui North Secondary Plan;
- Re-designation of lands on Schedule CN-1 from Commercial to Arterial Commercial, Business Commercial, District Commercial and Neighbourhood Commercial to address policy revisions.
Key Map: This is a City-wide amendment; therefore a description of the subject lands or a key map is not provided with this notice.
Other applications: The City is also undertaking a municipality-wide update to the Official Plan under Section 26 of the Planning Act; and an amendment to the five principal zoning bylaws with respect to parking. Many site-specific development applications within the City are also now in process. For a complete list of site-specific applications, please contact the planning division at 613-546-4291, ext. 3180.
For more information about this matter, including information about preserving your appeal rights, contact Sukriti Agarwal, senior planner, via:
Mail: 216 Ontario St., Kingston, ON K7L 2Z3
Phone: 613-546-4291, ext. 3217
Additional information about the proposed amendment can be viewed at the planning division at 1211 John Counter Blvd., between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, or online using the Development and Services Hub (DASH) at www.CityofKingston.ca/DASH and searching for 216 Ontario St.
Written comments may be sent to the planning division via:
Mail: 216 Ontario St., Kingston, ON K7L 2Z3
Anyone may attend the public meeting and make a verbal statement, and/or submit comments in writing, either in support of or in opposition to the proposed Official Plan amendment.The planning committee will receive a preliminary information report with respect to the proposed amendment at the public meeting, which will be available to the public on the City's website at www.CityofKingston.ca/Planning on Oct.1, 2016. A comprehensive report will be presented at a future meeting of the planning committee, at which time a recommendation will be made to council regarding the amendment.
Please note that City Council has delegated to the Planning Committee the authority to hold the public meeting instead of Council. All representations, both verbal and written, will be considered only by the Planning Committee, which will submit a Committee Report with its recommendations to Council for a decision on the matter.
Notice of Collection: Personal information collected as a result of this public meeting is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), the Planning Act, and all other relevant legislation, and will be used to assist in making a decision on this matter. All personal information (as defined by MFIPPA), including (but not limited to) names, addresses, opinions and comments collected will be made available for public disclosure to members of the public, at the meeting, through requests, and through the website of The Corporation of the City of Kingston. Questions regarding the collection, use, and disclosure of this personal information may be directed to the Director of the Planning, Building and Licensing Services, 216 Ontario Street, Kingston, Ontario, K7L 2Z3.
Dated: at Kingston Ontario
this 13th day of September, 2016.