News & Public Notices
Notice of Intention - Bylaw to designate properties to be of cultural heritage value and interest
November 14, 2017 -
- 235 Frontenac St./ 136 Alfred St.,
- 890 Front Rd.,
- 484 Albert St.,
- 620 Princess St.,
- 946 Old Kingston Mills Rd.,
- 3702 Highway 38,
- 3581 Princess St.,
- 1216 Unity Rd. and
- 2586 Kepler Rd.
to be of cultural heritage value and interest pursuant to the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18)
Take Notice that the council of The Corporation of the City of Kingston intends to pass bylaws under Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18, to designate the following lands to be of cultural heritage value and interest:
235 Frontenac St. and 136 Alfred St.
Lots 903-910, Plan A13, City of Kingston, County of Frontenac and Lots 911-912, 939-940, 945-946, Plan A 12, Except Part 1 on Reference Plan 13R-11181; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Kingston Collegiate and Vocational Institute.
The property, locally known as KCVI, represents the inception of secondary school education in Ontario. KCVI can trace its roots back to 1786 when it was originally established by The Reverend John Stuart as the first secondary school in Ontario. The earliest of the current buildings date from 1911 with additions added in 1931, 1959 and 1968. KCVI has further associative value with well-known local architects Joseph Power and Colin Drever. KCVI has a long list of influential alumni such as former Members of federal and provincial parliament, former city mayors, as well as members of the Kingston rock band The Tragically Hip and soloist David Usher.
890 Front Rd.
Part Lot 6, Concession 1 as in FR484797; Former Township of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Wartman Farmhouse.
The Wartman Farmhouse, built around 1860, includes a two-storey Italianate style brick house on a limestone foundation. This building displays a high degree of craftsmanship and fine brickwork. It has associative value through its connection with the UEL Wartman family who farmed the lands for over 100 years. Its distinctive architecture makes the Wartman Farmhouse a landmark.
484 Albert St.
Lots 651-652, Plan A12; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Princess Street United Church.
The Princess Street United Church has direct association with the history of the Methodist and United Churches in Kingston. The current sanctuary was built in the Collegiate Gothic style in 1931 to plans by well-known local architect Colin Drever. Its high-quality craftsmanship is evident in many of its interior and exterior features. Its architecture makes it a landmark along this portion of Princess Street.
620 Princess St.
Lot 650, Plan A12, Except Part 5 on Reference Plan 13R-584; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Princess Street United Church Manse.
The former Princess Street United Church Manse includes a two-and-a-half-storey Edwardian style brick house, built in 1907, to serve as the residence for the minister. The manse was originally built adjacent to the 1884 Williamsville Methodist Church, which was replaced by the current Princess Street United Church building in 1931. It has direct association with the history of the Methodist and United Churches in Kingston.
946 Old Kingston Mills Rd.
Part Lot 40,Concession 4, Kingston/Pittsburgh as in FR592431, FR385708, PTR11764 (Parcel 1) Except FR385708 S of Part 6 on R265, PTR11871 Except FR385708 & FR592431; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church.
The Holy Name of Jesus Roman Catholic Church is an excellent example of a Gothic Revival church. Built in 1887, this large sandstone building with locally sourced limestone detailing, displays exceptional craftsmanship. Attached to the main sanctuary by a one-storey sandstone addition, is a well-crafted red-brick Victorian-era rectory building. Designed by well-known ecclesiastical architect Joseph Connolly, and replacing an earlier log church, this landmark property is associated with the influence and history of the Roman Catholic Church in the Kingston Mills area.
3702 Highway 38
Part Lot 6, Concession 7 Western Addition, Being Part 1 on Reference Plan 13R-10514; Part Road Allowance between the Township of Portland and Township of Kingston Being Parts 1-3 on Reference Plan 13R-12656; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Murvale Wesleyan Methodist Church.
The former Murvale Wesleyan Methodist Church is an excellent example of a Gothic Revival church, constructed of limestone circa 1871.This landmark building is associated with the history of Murvale and the Methodist churches in the area.
3581 Princess St.
Part Lots 3-4, Concession 3 Western Addition as in FR65832; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Westbrook Wesleyan Methodist Church.
The former Westbrook Wesleyan Methodist Church includes an evenly coursed limestone Gothic Revival church. Built in 1860, this landmark building is associated with Hugh and William Saul, who built a number of stone buildings in the Westbrook area, and Justice of the Peace, William Marshall, who donated the land for the church and reportedly suggested "Westbrooke" as the name for the village.
1216 Unity Rd.
Part Lot 28, Concession 6, Kingston as in FR640448; S/T TKU12327, TKU12408; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Glenburnie Methodist Church.
The former Glenburnie Methodist Church is a good example of a mid-19th century limestone church, built in 1857, with a well-designed modernist hall addition, built in 1956-57.The property is associated with the history of the Methodist church in the area, and with well-known local architect Wilfrid Sorensen, who designed the addition. The building's architecture makes it a landmark on Unity Road.
2586 Kepler Rd.
Part Lot 10, Concession 7 as in FR651508; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac, known as the Kepler Methodist Episcopal Church.
The former Kepler Methodist Episcopal Church contains a one storey Gothic Revival red brick church building, built in 1878. The property is associated with the UEL Powley family who donated the lands for the church. The former Kepler church contributes to the history of the community of Kepler and its distinctive architecture makes it a landmark.
Additional information, including a full description of the reasons for designation is available upon request from Ryan Leary, senior heritage planner, planning, building & licensing services at 613-546-4291, ext. 3233, or at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.
Any notice of objection, setting out the reason for objection and all relevant facts, must be served upon the city clerk within 30 days of the first publication of this notice.
Dated at the City of Kingston
this 21st day of November, 2017
John Bolognone, city clerk
City of Kingston