Notice of intention to pass a bylaw to designate 181 Sydenham St. 704 Hillview Rd. and 647 Princess St. to be of cultural heritage value and interest - Notice of intention to pass a bylaw to designate 181 Sydenham St. 704 Hillview Rd. and 647 Princess St. to be of cultural heritage value and interest
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Notice of intention to pass a bylaw to designate 181 Sydenham St. 704 Hillview Rd. and 647 Princess St. to be of cultural heritage value and interest
November 22, 2016 -
Pursuant to the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18)
Take notice that the council of the Corporation of the City of Kingston intends to pass bylaws under Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18, to designate the following lands to be of cultural heritage value and interest:
181 Sydenham St. (Part of Lot 312, Original Survey as in FR328732; Subject to FR328732; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Charles Gildersleeve Building.
The C. Gildersleeve Building, built in 1891, is an excellent example of an Italianate commercial building. Typical of this style, are the three large arched windows on the second storey with brick hood moulds. The windows are separated by brick pilasters and topped by a horizontal line of projecting brickwork.
The subject property is associated with the prominent Gildersleeve family. Charles was a notable Kingston politician and businessman. The property is also associated with the Jewish-Canadian settlement area along Princess Street, which was established in the 19th century. This building was the location of the Sons of Jacob (B'nai Israel) Shtiebl. Finally, this building is also associated with the long-running business "Vernon B. Simkins Sewing Machines". Vernon operated a sewing machine store on this premises until his passing in 1979 after which ownership was assumed by son Eric Simkins.
The Charles Gildersleeve Building is significant as part of the commercial core of Kingston.
704 Hillview Rd. (Part Lot 7 North of Bath Road, 8 North of Bath Road, Plan 62, as in FR330490; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the former Collins Bay Wesleyan Methodist Church.
The former Collins Bay Wesleyan Methodist Church is a good example of a late 19th century Gothic Revival church. Typical of this style is the gothic arched windows and remaining stained glass windows. The foundation construction is rough-faced limestone which is laid in even courses. The main structure is red brick with yellow brick design elements: quoining, window voussoirs, and a band in a dentil pattern. A date stone in the front façade reads: "WM Church 1872".
The former church is associated with the Wesleyan Methodist congregation. As early as 1790 the Wesleyan Methodists had a circuit rider preacher who served 11 communities along the northeast shores of Lake Ontario, one of which was Collins Bay. This church was a significant religious gathering place for the Collins Bay settlement and the surrounding farming community for more than 75 years.
The former Collins Bay Wesleyan Methodist Church's distinctive architecture makes it a landmark along Hillview Road and in Collins Bay.
647 Princess St. (Lot 2, Plan A8, City of Kingston, County of Frontenac; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as Thomas McCrea's Carriage and Blacksmith Shop.
Thomas McCrea's Shop is an early example of mid-19th century vernacular stone construction in Kingston. For many years it was operated by Thomas McCrea as a carriage-making shop and blacksmith. The property is one of two remaining original stone buildings from the 1842 plan for Williamsville at the key intersection of Victoria and Princess streets. Together, they form a small streetscape that reflects the early history of the area and function as a landmark along this stretch of Princess Street.
Additional information, including a full description of the reasons for designation is available upon request from Ryan Leary, senior heritage planner, planning, building & licensing services at 613-546-4291, ext. 3233, or at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.
Any notice of objection, setting out the reason for objection and all relevant facts, must be served upon the city clerk within 30 days of the first publication of this notice.
Dated at the City of Kingston
this 22nd day of November, 2016
John Bolognone, city clerk
City of Kingston