Notice of intention to pass a bylaw to designate 4255 Bath Rd. and 1517 Sunnyside Rd. to be of cultural heritage value and interest - Notice of intention to pass a bylaw to designate 4255 Bath Rd. and 1517 Sunnyside Rd. to be of cultural heritage value and interest
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Notice of intention to pass a bylaw to designate 4255 Bath Rd. and 1517 Sunnyside Rd. to be of cultural heritage value and interest
December 27, 2016 -
Pursuant to the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18)
Take notice that the Council of The Corporation of the City of Kingston intends to pass bylaws under Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18, to designate the following lands to be of cultural heritage value and interest:
4255 Bath Rd. (Part Lot 1, Plan 415 & Part Lot Mile Square as Described as Parcel 1 in FR363477; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Aiken House.
The Aiken House is a good example of a one-and-a-half storey classically balanced farmhouse. The structure is constructed of evenly coursed limestone on the front wall, with rubble course limestone on the side walls. The house displays limestone voussoirs and sills on all door and window openings of the first storey.
The Aiken House is associated with Robert Aiken, an American-born Wesleyan Methodist yeoman who lived and farmed the property from 1831, and with Howard McCullough, who purchased the house in 1948 and was instrumental in the development of the Elmwood community, which was reportedly named after "Elmwood Drive," a dead-end road allowance that originally led from Bath Road to the Aiken House.
The Aiken House's architecture and setting makes it a landmark along the historic Bath Road and within the former village of Collins Bay.
1517 Sunnyside Rd. (Part of Lots 20-21, Concession 4, Being Parts 1 & 7 on Reference Plan 13R-16178, City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Johnson Farmhouse.
The Johnson Farmhouse is an excellent example of mid-19th century one-and-a-half-storey Ontario vernacular red brick farmhouse. The low-pitch gable roof has a central steep-pitch gable occupied by a triangular headed window, a stone sill and red brick voussoirs. The east elevation is symmetrical, with a central red brick chimney flanked by segmentally arched window openings with two-over-two sash windows, red brick voussoirs and stone sills.
The Johnson Farmhouse contributes to the rural and scenic character of Sunnyside Road. Its striking architecture makes it a landmark along the streetscape.
Additional information, including a full description of the reasons for designation, is available upon request from Ryan Leary, senior heritage planner, planning, building & licensing services at 613-546-4291, ext. 3233, or at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours.
Any notice of objection, setting out the reason for objection and all relevant facts, must be served upon the city clerk within 30 days of the first publication of this notice.
Dated at the City of Kingston
this 27th day of December, 2016
John Bolognone, city clerk
City of Kingston