Notice of intention - to pass a bylaw to designate 450, 506, 520, 635 and 3737 Princess St., 911 Purdy’s Mill Rd., and 2268 Sydenham Rd. to be of cultural heritage value and interest - Notice of intention - to pass a bylaw to designate 450, 506, 520, 635 and 3737 Princess St., 911 Purdy’s Mill Rd., and 2268 Sydenham Rd. to be of cultural heritage value and interest
News & Public Notices
Content - General - Stay Connected
null Notice of intention - to pass a bylaw to designate 450, 506, 520, 635 and 3737 Princess St., 911 Purdy’s Mill Rd., and 2268 Sydenham Rd. to be of cultural heritage value and interest
July 25, 2017 -
Pursuant to the provisions of the Ontario Heritage Act (R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18)
Take Notice that the council of The Corporation of the City of Kingston intends to pass bylaws under Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter 0.18, to designate the following lands to be of cultural heritage value and interest:
450 Princess St.
(Lots 5-7, 10-13, Plan 134, Except Part 1 on Reference Plan 13R-2493; Part of Lot 4, Plan 134, Being Parts 2 & 3 on Reference Plan 13R-2493; Part Lane, Plan 134 closed by FR314282, Being Parts 4 & 5 pm Reference Plan 13R-2493; Part Block John Duff, Plan A12 as in CK52810 & CK52964, City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Bell Telephone Building.
The Bell Telephone Building was built in 1941 in the modern classical style to accommodate the transition to dial operations.The property also includes two bas-relief sculptures flanking the main entrance and a mural by well-known Canadian artist, Adam Sherriff Scott, located within the main lobby. The Bell Building demonstrates the work of architects Fredrick Macnab and Hugh Valentine who designed a number of buildings for Bell Canada. Its unique modern classical architecture makes the Bell Building a landmark in Williamsville.
506 Princess St.
(Lot 752, Plan A12; Part Lots 742-743, 753, Plan A 12 as in FR577457, City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the George Newlands House.
The George Newlands House, built in 1874, includes a two-and-a-half-storey Italianate style brick house with a limestone foundation. It has associative value through its connection with local contractor George Newlands and architect John Power. With the adjacent building at 520 Princess St., the Newlands House reflects the history of residential development along this part of Princess Street.
520 Princess St.
(Part Lots 740-741, Plan A12 as in FR177631; S/T Interest in FR177631; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as the Bermingham-Harty House.
The Bermingham-Harty House, built circa 1892, is a representative example of the Queen Anne-style house. This two-and-a-half-storey brick dwelling with a limestone foundation was built for The Honourable William Harty, a prominent businessman and politician. With his brother-in-law Cornelius Bermingham, he operated the Canadian Locomotive and Engine Company in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. With the adjacent building at 506 Princess St., the Newlands House reflects the history of residential development along this part of Princess Street.
635 Princess St.
(Part Lots 553-555, Plan A12, Being Parts 1 to 3 on Reference Plan 13R-15104; S/T FR706253; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as Carter's Grocery.
Carter's Grocery, includes a vernacular stone commercial building built circa1873 for penitentiary guard, Thomas Carter, and his wife Margaret, who ran a grocery story here until 1913. Its 19th century stone construction makes Carter's Grocery a landmark along Princess Street.
3737 Princess St.
(Part Lot 6, Concession 3 Western Addiction as in FR358894; City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as Red Rock School.
Red Rock School is a good example of a one-room limestone schoolhouse, built circa 1850. Red Rock, the early name for the village of Westbrook, was given to School Section Number 11, which was built with the intention of serving as both a church and school. Red Rock School served both functions until 1860.
911 Purdy's Mill Rd.
(Part Lot 3 North of Road, 4 North of Road, Plan 60, Being Part 2 on Reference Plan 13R-8562, City of Kingston, County of Frontenac), known as Cataraqui Public School.
Cataraqui Public School is a limestone, former schoolhouse, built in 1869 to plans by well-known local architect John Power. When enlarged in 1877 it became the first two-room schoolhouse in Kingston Township. The limestone building acts as a historic landmark and reminder of the former Village of Cataraqui.
2268 Sydenham Rd.
(Part Lot 18, Concession 5, Being Part 6 on Reference Plan 13R-2182; City of Kingston), known as the Jesse Purdy House.
The Jesse Purdy House is a good example of an early 19th century Ontario vernacular frame house, built prior to 1851.The property is associated with the Purdy and Jackson families.The Purdy House contributes to the character of Sydenham Road and its distinctive architecture makes it a landmark.
Additional information, including a full description of the reasons for designation is available upon request from Ryan Leary, senior heritage planner, planning, building & licensing services at 613-546-4291, ext. 3233, or at email@example.com during regular business hours.
Any notice of objection, setting out the reason for objection and all relevant facts, must be served upon the city clerk within 30 days of the first publication of this notice.
Dated at the City of Kingston
this 25th day of July, 2017
John Bolognone, City Clerk
City of Kingston